new 1Password Chrome plugin

Options
newtmitch
newtmitch
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi - was surprised with a new 1Password Chrome plugin today. Although I like the inline integration (i.e. "on the page") I do miss the old plugin access on the address bar. I see the new plugin still has that access, but the window is significantly less usable for me. I have some of my 1Password entries with long and descriptive names to keep them separated (i.e. multiple accounts for a single address) and those get cut off on both the left and right panes, and I can't increase the size of the plugin dropdown window like I used to be able to.

Am I just missing something?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: 2.0.5?
OS Version: Mac 11.4
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @newtmitch

Thanks for the feedback! A couple things that may help here...

1. If you hover your mouse over the title of an item in the right pane it'll pop up a tooltip with the full title of the item.
    2. Would it help to use a titling convention where the differentiating element comes first? e.g. instead of titling the item Amazon.com [Ben] title it [Ben] Amazon.com ?

Just a couple thoughts off-hand — happy to discuss further.

Ben

• newtmitch
    newtmitch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. The hover thing does work - I noticed that earlier, but I have several entries for the same website (web developer, lots of accounts all over the place) and it's time-consuming to go to each one and hover to get to the full name. I think part of what's frustrating here is that I built those names because of the functionality 1Password had for me to manage the way I view and use that data and even if the way I have to approach it changed, both of the options you suggest require a) significantly more time to find the right login or b) require me to change data to accommodate the UI. Neither seems ideal.

I also use the Family plan and have logins for the family for some of the same websites - I differentiate in the titles with names or other details after the primary name. I'd need to change a LOT of data in order to meet this new UI limitation. Not great.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @newtmitch! In the meantime, I have let the developers know about your use case, and that you would like a way to expand the item list if possible :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#98

• newtmitch
    newtmitch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I continue to run into this - there's just no way for me to reasonably view entry titles in the new chrome plugin because the titles are huge and the names are completely truncated. No way to expand the viewing area, reduce font size, nothing. The only option I have is to rename them so the differentiating text shows up before truncation. I have to say this is VERY frustrating and feels like a complete regression of my ability to use the chrome extension. The old extension I believe I still have installed and it's better, but the delay on it coming up when I click on it is really long - I'm assuming that's not supported anymore at this point.

I feel like I'm suddenly experiencing friction that I just didn't have for many many years before now, and the only options I have to get around it are really not optimal and/or dire.

I'm not liking where this is right now.

• @newtmitch

We're sorry to hear about the ongoing disruption to your workflow. While I can't say for sure when or if this will be available, I can assure you that this request is on our development team's radar.

If it's imperative to your workflow, you are welcome to continue using the 1Password Classic Extension in the meantime. Alternatively, the suggestion Ben offered above to utilize a naming convention that fits within the current constraints is the best approach.

This discussion has been closed.