Safari on Mountain Lion crashing

I was successfully using 1Password with the Mountain Lion DP4 on my mid-2011 13" MacBook Air.

After applying the update to DP4 that Apple released yesterday, Safari started crashing upon launch.

I deactivated extensions one-by-one, with 1Password being deactivated last. After deactivating 1Password, the crash-on-launch ceased.

The DP4.1 update is not affecting my iMac. The only difference I can think of is that the MacBook Air has the Power Nap feature.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Hey balkemccormick

I haven't seen the issue you mention... but I have seen a few other issues from some of my extensions mostly my forum quoting extension.

Maybe one of the others has some thoughts. I was just mainly letting you know as I had seem some irregularity with my extensions as well.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, blakemccormick! Thanks for reporting this. I just saw one other mention of this from a user earlier. This is the first we've seen of this and have not yet been able to reproduce it.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

In 1Password 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

If you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to follow the instructions here:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you

Then attach the entire file to a private support ticket:

http://support.agilebits.com/discussion/new

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • Hi,
    I am using the MountainLion GM build with the Safari that came with it, on a brand-new MBP 15" Retina Disp. machine. (upgraded from Lion to ML)

Safari randomly crashes when 1password is installed, it has been doing so on the DP previews, and the Safari preview for Lion also.

Today, it crashed and now refuses to even install. it installs (either Beta or regular extension) and then after the install, it crashes Safari, and now the extension, even though the file ins in the extensions dir, there is no icon in Safari.

I can disable and remove all other extensions, and just try to install the 1Password and it crashes every time.

Seems like there might have been an update of the extension today (not sure) as it was stable for a couple of days, and not it will not even run.

Any way of getting a stable extension soon?

OS Software OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Safari Version 6.0 (8536.25)
  • I was able to find an older version of the Beta Extension from another machine that was not updated automatically yet.
    3.9.4.b1 is what the plugin About says.

There seems to have been an update today (7/15/2012) and seems it doesn't work with my OS/Safari, severe crashes and it removes the extension button from the toolbar

1PW version from App Store, just installed 2 days ago: 39500.018
  • Oh well not so fast, restarted Safari started crashing again.
    Couldn't get it to install.

Now I am running 3.9.4 extension
    I cleared Library/Caches and it seems to have installed

Turned off Extension updates.

I hope by the time ML releases you can fix it.

Don't know it this will remain stable for me, maybe without any auto updates for now it will work until a fix is released.
  • [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi,[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am using the MountainLion GM build with the Safari that came with it, on a brand-new MBP 15" Retina Disp. machine. (upgraded from Lion to ML)[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Safari randomly crashes when 1password is installed, it has been doing so on the DP previews, and the Safari preview for Lion also. [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Today, it crashed and now refuses to even install. it installs (either Beta or regular extension) and then after the install, it crashes Safari, and now the extension, even though the file ins in the extensions dir, there is no icon in Safari.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can disable and remove all other extensions, and just try to install the 1Password and it crashes every time.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seems like there might have been an update of the extension today as it was stable for a couple of days, and not it will not even run. [/font]

*** I was able to revert to an old copy of the extension and get Safari to be stable, after clearing the mac Library/Caches etc. However, if I load the latest regular or beta extension safari crashes and most of the time the extension disappears.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any way of getting a stable extension soon?[/font]
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    There is an update on MAS et on the Agile site
  • Hi, I don't understand your reply.Could you clarify? I am using the App Store version of the application.
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Oh I was just saying a new version is posted, on MAS (Mac Apple Store), version 3.9.6
  • Oh, thanks, I did check that after I read your message, and I updated, along with the extension, seems to be more stable now.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We are not aware of any issues with 1Password in Safari 6 and/or Mountain Lion. It wold be extremely unlikely that 1Password even could crash Safari. I'm not saying it is impossible, but the extensions are sandboxed and the extension APIs are pretty mature at this point. There are many other things besides 1Password that can affect Safari on any given machine.

You can switch to the stable extension channel at any time by removing the beta extension and reinstalling without checking the box for betas:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

It sounds like something else is happening on your machine. We'd love to get a better look at what is causing the issue. Have you sent in your Diagnostics Report as I requested from blakemccormick above?
  • I just upgraded my Mac Pro to Mountain Lion and immediately upon completion Safari would crash on startup with 1Password causing the issue. I uninstalled the extension by removing the ~Library/Safari folder and Safari stabilized. Since returning to a stable configuration, I've attempted to re-install the 1Password extension and each time it crashes the browser immediately after pressing the install button. Both the beta and production version.

Please advise
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Ed. As I requested from the other two folks in this thread who reported some trouble in Safari please send us a Diagnostics Report so we can get a better look. Have you sent us a Diagnostics Report yet?
  • So, I was having this problem (Safari crashing constantly with 1Password extension installed). I managed to fix it by removing all SIMBL files from /Library and ~/Library and rebooting. Everything is fine now. Just throwing this out there in case it helps anyone else..
  • khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Ed. As I requested from the other two folks in this thread who reported some trouble in Safari please send us a Diagnostics Report so we can get a better look. Have you sent us a Diagnostics Report yet?

Issue created as requested with attached log
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Bryan! Thanks for mentioning that.

Some problems can be caused by several unsupported Safari add-ons. Because of the unsupported nature in which they interact with applications, these extensions can interfere greatly with the proper behavior of the 1Password browser extensions.

Examples of extensions we've seen that cause issues are "SafariSniffer" and "Wondershare AllMyTube/Free YouTube Downloader". It is likely other unsupported extensions would result in similar problems.

You can see if you have any of these installed by looking in these folders:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]~/Library/ScriptingAdditions[/font] (in your Home folder)
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]/Library/ScriptingAdditions[/font] (in the root of your hard disk)

The most popular one is SIMBL, but there are others as well. Try moving anything you find in these folders somewhere else, for example, to your Desktop.

Once the files are moved, please restart Safari to see if that resolves the issue for you. There are also some other possible problems, though, so that may not work for everyone. Right now we are tracking what appears to be a Safari bug which is causing this problem for some folks.

Thanks for the Diagnostics Report, Ed. If one of us has not replied to your support ticket yet, I know we will soon.
  • Ed Foss
    edited July 2012
    I have no files in my /Library/ScriptingAdditions folder and don't even have a ~/Library/ScriptingAdditions folder at all.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks! We'll continue to work with you via the support ticket you opened.
  • OK I guess I spoke a little too soon.. While the crashing went away for a while after removing SIMBL and rebooting, it came back with a vengeance in due time. Safari crashes within 1-2 seconds of launching repeatedly. Disabling the 1Password extension solves the problem completely.

I don't have anything in ScriptingAdditions, either in /Library or ~/Library.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    Please open a support ticket and attach a Diagnostics Report as requested.

One thing you can check in the meantime is that you have "Auto Proxy Discovery" disabled. Here are the instructions to disable this:

http://mikhailt.clar...proxy_discovery

If you're still having trouble even after disabling "Auto Proxy Discovery" please confirm for us in the support ticket that you have it disabled.

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    edited July 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm sorry about this. We think this is a bug in Mountain Lion due to how we connect to the 1Password Helper from the extension. We're trying to find out what's causing this and fix it as soon as we can.

Please do the following and see if it'll help: https://mikhailt.cla...proxy_discovery

Once you do this, restart your Mac and see if Safari is more stable now.

I hope this helps, please let me know.

Thanks!
  • I didn't have "proxy discovery" enabled, but I did have a proxy.pac file configured.. I disabled the proxy autoconfig and re-enabled the 1password extension.. So far so good..
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Wonderful! Thanks for confirming. Please keep us posted. :D
  • gogol
    gogol
    Community Member
    I can confirm that as soon as I enable my proxy again and restart Safari, Safari crashes. I don't even have to restart the computer. I hope you are close to a solution (y)
  • Day 2 of no crashes after unchecking the "Automatic Proxy Configuration". That certainly seems to be the culprit.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    Welcome to the forums, gogol! Thanks for confirming this. As far as we can tell this is a bug in OS X networking. I'm not sure if we will be able to fix it on our end, but we are certainly exploring our options.

We just posted a support article with more details as well as the current resolution:

Safari 6 crashing on Mountain Lion

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the confirmations! That's just great news. We've confirmed it as a bug in Mountain Lion related to the proxy settings. As the result, we've filed a bug report with Apple and hopefully, there's a way to solve this soon, either by us in an update to 1Password or by Apple in an update to Mountain Lion.

For now, this is the only workaround for the crash issue except for removing 1Password from Safari and using an alternative browser until the updates come.

In addition, we've notified the public to help everybody at once: we've blogged and tweeted here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/07/27/how-to-fix-safari-6-crashing-on-mountain-lion/
  • Bryan Burns
    edited July 2012
    So I had this issue with the 2nd checkbox (Automatic Proxy Configuration), not just the top one (Auto Proxy Discovery). Might want to clarify the blog post.

(oh, I see it in the fine print, but the screenshot is a tad misleading)
  • Issue resolved by disabling Proxy setting. So much for my work VPN until Apple resolves this.
    Thanks for your help!
  • gogol
    gogol
    Community Member
    Ed Foss wrote:

Issue resolved by disabling Proxy setting. So much for my work VPN until Apple resolves this.
    Thanks for your help!

I switched to Google Chrome and can use my proxy settings. It definitely is a Safari problem.
This discussion has been closed.