Password Generator is limited to 50 characters [1Password in the Browser, not 1Password 8]

JoeBloeC7
JoeBloeC7
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password 8 is limiting newly generated passwords to 50 characters, but 1Password 7 allowed for up to 100 characters. This seems like a downgrade to me. I hope this will be changed back to 100 characters in future updates.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-56.BETA 80200056, on BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

I want to add my vote for this. I regularly generate passwords as long as I can, and 50 characters feels short now. Seems odd that this kind of regression would be meant to stay for a password manager app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eishapiro, @alexclst:

Thank you for the feedback! In the latest 1Password for Mac beta, I can still go up to 100 characters in the password generator:

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member

HI ag_ana,

Your screenshot does not match mine! How do I get to where you are?

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member

Does anyone know how to get to the screenshot that ag_ana showed me in the previous post? I have the option to create a random password of only 50 characters and not 100 as she shows in her post. Anybody know hot get to 100 characters in 1Password 8?

• tvandinter
    tvandinter
    Community Member

@eishapiro Let's turn it around -- how are you getting to the password generator? If I generate a password in v8 (Mac and Windows) it has a 100 char limit. There's nothing special to it, eg 1PW > New Item > Password > Create a New Password > Make sure it's type "Random Password" > Slide "Characters" (aka length) to 100. Looking at your screenshot, I've never seen "Use as default for suggestions" or "Generator History" so I have no idea how you get to where you get to.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

That's the password generator in 1Password in the Browser (formerly known as 1Password X).

• tvandinter
    tvandinter
    Community Member

Aha. After poking around, @eishapiro is using the browser extension, not the app (which works fine, as previously mentioned). I can verify that the Chrome and Safari extensions, presumably Firefox/etc as well, have a limit of 50 chars for "Random Password". That said, the "limit" is just that the slider only goes to 50. You can double click the number "50" in the text box and replace it with "100" and it's happy to generate a 100 character password. So the bug here seems to be that the slider doesn't go as far as it used to. @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

@eishapiro:

You are trying to do this on the 1Password.com website, I was using the 1Password browser extension instead. If you haven't already, please install the browser extension, and you will be able to get to the password generator that I showed in the screenshot ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tvandinter:

So the bug here seems to be that the slider doesn't go as far as it used to.

If I remember correctly, the password generator on the 1Password.com website never reached 100, it only goes to 64 in my testing:

So this is an inconsistency rather than a bug I think.

• tvandinter
    tvandinter
    Community Member

@ag_ana Ok, but we're not talking about the 1password.com website, though I agree that's inconsistent with both 50 and 100 so should be changed to match.

I guess it's unclear if this is a "bug" or a specific change that was made, I'll leave that up to you, but I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page. Let me try again.

The OP noted that in the 1Password 7 browser extension, the password generator allowed for 100 character passwords:

But with the 1Password 8 browser extension, the password generator only goes up to 50 character passwords:

As I noted, the issue seems to be the slider in 7 goes to 100 but in 8 stops at 50. It is possible to select the number value 50 and type in 100 and the v8 extension is happy to create the longer length password:

You noted that in the 1Password 8 app, as 7 before (w/ slightly different UI), has a slider that goes to 100 too:

So my guess is that the v8 extension's slider limit of 50 is a bug/unintended change, given that v7 extension+app and the v8 app have it as 100.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tvandinter:

But with the 1Password 8 browser extension, the password generator only goes up to 50 character passwords

To clarify: there is no "1Password 8 browser extension", the extension version (2.0.5) is the same regardless of what desktop app you are using. It's just that at the moment there is no consistency between the website, the browser extension and the new Mac app when it comes to the maximum password length, as you are correctly saying :+1:

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member

Yes, I was using the 1Password 8 Browser Extension, however it is version 2.0.6. When I go to a new website and create a new user name and password, I use the browser extension to create the password. When I change my password on an existing site, I use the browser extension to create the new changed password. I have never used the website or the app to create passwords.

Thanks to all for clarifying that it is the browser extension (versus the App) that has a slider the stops at 50 characters. Even though you can double click on the "50" to change it to "100", I would request that this feature/bug? be changed to have the slider go directly to 100 characters. Please make this change in future updates.

Thanks again to everyone here for your information and help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it @eishapiro, and thank you for the feedback!

• JoeBloeC7
    JoeBloeC7
    Community Member

Hey, @ag_ana

Just updated to 1Password for Mac 8.2.2-23.BETA. My browser extension is still the same version 2.0.6. No change in the behavior of the slider for generating a password using the extension . It still stops at 50 characters. No biggie, but was hoping for a change to 100 characters. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eishapiro:

Just updated to 1Password for Mac 8.2.2-23.BETA. My browser extension is still the same version 2.0.6. No change in the behavior of the slider for generating a password using the extension

Indeed, that's because only the Mac app was updated, not the extension. Hopefully our developers can address this in a future update of the browser extension too, it would be a nice change :+1:

This discussion has been closed.