Big Sur 11.5.1
1Password

1Password consumed 297.75GB application memory

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.5.1

Comments

• Ouch!

@FredJones any chance could email us the diagnostics. It is available under 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Send Diagnostics.

If you could also post here a ticket number that you get in return, it would great. We'll get this fixed asap.

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

I would if I could, but nothing happens. The button highlights, but the expected dialog does not show. Meanwhile 1P chews up RAM big time. I attached an Activity Monitor grab before the computer locked up. I'll need to remove 8 after you can propose a solution for finding the diags the olde fashioned finder way. For now is it is impacting everything in sight, including screen captures, bluetooth and audio. /var/folders/kq/w69gtq394r109t826p0fdn240000gn/T/VoilaCopiedFiles1/CC274.jpg

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

/var/folders/kq/w69gtq394r109
    t826p0fdn240000gn/T/VoilaCopiedFiles1/CC274.jpg

• @FredJones Thank you for giving it a try.

Maybe you could send us the archive of the log folder? It is available via Help > Troubleshooting > Open Logs Folder menu. Alternatively, using Finder's Go > Go to Folder menu and then paste ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

there are 6 log files (in the logs directory) which, when zipped, are 105GB. I'd need to use wetrasfer for something that big, so will need an email.

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

I wetransfer'd sent three smaller logs as I'm limited to 2GB. Most of them are 6GB+. Let me know if you want me to extract some from the larger logs. From what I can see, via activity monitor, 1P starts chewing through ram as soon as it starts.

• I created the Dropbox File Request. That should work for larger files. We probably need just a single file, I am guessing the contents is the same. Here is the link for Dropbox upload: https://www.dropbox.com/request/bIg7ufsdmzlXvPpHQjdS

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

I uploaded the last 4 logs as the one that was generated during the 297GB Ram crash was 9GB and dropbox is limited to 2GB. If you don't see relevant errors, let me know and I'll extract the last 2GB from the 9GB log and send it.

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

Also, when I quit the 1Password app Activity Monitor still showed the 1P process chewing up RAM. When I quit the menubar app the process cleared from Amon.

• Got them now. Thank you so much, @FredJones!

Now we definitely know where to look. It appears the be a problem with our XPC connection that is used to communicate between 1Password and the browser extension. 1Password fails to establish it and keeps trying over and over and eating the memory at the same time.

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to help beta! There are several other oddities that I'll jot down and post.

• Thank you! We'll try to get the memory leak fixed before the next beta build on Monday but it might tough. I really don't want to ask people to work on weekends. We'll see what we can do.

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @FredJones,

Is it possible that 1Password.app is not in the /Applications folder on your Mac? That would break XPC and cause the errors to be log. It doesn't explain the memory leak but you should be able to fix this problem if this is the case.

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

It's in the applications folder. /var/folders/kq/w69gtq394r109t826p0fdn240000gn/T/VoilaCopiedFiles1/CC295.jpg

• It's in the applications folder.

Looks like there is something else breaking the XPC connection.

Thanks to your logs, we found the memory leak issue in Swift code. Hope to get it fixed before the next beta.

• FredJones
    FredJones
    Community Member
    Options

Got the latest beta installed. Been monitoring RAM in Activity Monitor and it has been sitting at 87mb for a couple hours...bug fixed!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.