Firefox and Safari plug-ins not copying OTP even though configured

I am having an issue where the OTP isn't copied for certain sites. I've experienced this in both Firefox on Windows 10 and Safari on macOS. The browser plugin will successfully fill in the username/password but not copy the OTP.

This happens on some sites, and I have a feeling that its related to sites where the login and verification (OTP) are handled at different root domains. For example, heroku's log in address is id.heroku.com and their verification/OTP address is verify.salesforce.com. If I add both websites to the login item in 1Password, I can at least select it to fill the OTP after the second page loads, but it still won't copy or fill it automatically.

This isn't a deal-breaker, but is a bit disrupting whenever I encounter it due to muscle memory of pasting after submitting the credentials on other sites.

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 12 / Windows 10

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cbortz ,

1Password in the browser (2.0.5) does not copy OTP to the clipboard. Only the old Classic extension did that alongside the desktop app.
    Instead, the new 1Password in the browser will just try to autofill your OTP, but you are correct to suspect the change of domain halfway through the login process.

If 1Password detects a domain change, it will stop the autofill session and will not attempt to autofill on the following page to maintain your data's security in case of a session hijacking or a domain takeover.

In Safari, if you have the "1Password for Safari" extension installed (2.0.6), then it will behave the same. However, if you have the "1Password" extension installed (7.8.7), then it should copy your OTP to the clipboard when you autofill.

We do have an open feature request to bring back OTP copy to the clipboard so I'll add your voice there.
    Thanks for taking the time to write to us about this :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#645

This discussion has been closed.