Integration between Android app and Chrome browser extension on Chrome OS

Options
rit42
rit42
Community Member

Looking in the settings on my Chrome browser extension on my Pixel Slate running Chrome OS, I noticed this:

In the "General" section there is a setting switch to "Integrate with 1Password app."

This works very well on my Windows PC - thank you very much, I love being able to unlock the Windows app and then have it unlocked on all of the browsers I currently have installed on that device.

Is there development to enable a similar version of that function on Chrome OS devices? Currently when I unlock the Android app, that is the only thing that unlocks. If I want to use the app to unlock the extension on my Chrome browser, I need to use some workaround usually involving copying my master password from the app and pasting it into the password field. It's a lot of steps, but it works, and as long as the PIN is active it is ... ever so slightly ... more convenient. In my opinion that is, I can't speak for other Chrome OS users...

Granted, for the rest of the apps on Chrome OS, the Android app is the only thing I need. The Chrome browser, however, functions as though it were installed on a regular PC, which is great for all of the capabilities, but also means that it necessitates the browser extension.

Similarly, my device has a fingerprint scanner, but my understanding is that it is not currently integrated for use in anything other than unlocking the device itself. If it were to become usable for unlocking the browser extension and/or the app, that would also be a definite game changer for Chrome OS users.

1Password Version: 7.7.7
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Chrome OS Version 92.0.4515.157

Comments

• Hey @rit42, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We are always striving to have the same feature set across all of our 1Password platforms, so I've gone ahead and passed your request along to our development team.

Similarly, my device has a fingerprint scanner, but my understanding is that it is not currently integrated for use in anything other than unlocking the device itself. If it were to become usable for unlocking the browser extension and/or the app, that would also be a definite game changer for Chrome OS users.

To my knowledge, Chrome OS only supports Biometric Unlock for the device itself, not for any of the installed apps. We really hope to see Chrome add Biometric Unlock support for installed apps in the future, but for now, the best way to move forward would be to use PIN Unlock, which you've already enabled.

I hope that helps clarify everything. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with :)

ref: dev/core/core#9675

• rit42
    rit42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_audrey !

• You're absolutely welcome, @rit42! Please don't hesitate to reach back out if you ever have any questions :)

This discussion has been closed.