Onboarding experience quite bad

Options
colep
colep
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Families

I also sent this to 1P support with hopes that someone who actually cares will read this. I've been a 1Password user for about a decade now, maybe longer. I've heard a lot of folks: friends, redditors, folks on hacker news, complain about the degrading 1Password user experience, but I poo-pooed them. I didn't really feel like the experience had gotten better over the time I used the product, but I didn't think it was getting worse.

... that changed today, as I went through onboarding my parents in law into my family plan. It was a really awful experience, so bad that I doubt that they'll actually take the time to use the software past this point. Here's the breakdown:

• My father in law actually subscribed to his own account because the UX on iOS so aggressively pushes subscriptions. Where's the "I was invited?" button.
  • Clicking on the family invite link on iOS devices opens up the "create an account" flow on web, not iOS. I tried this on an iPad and an iPhone, both on latest iOS and latest 1Password versions.
  • The web sign-up flow is awful. It asks for a master password, but doesn't give any options to generate one. I had to generate master passwords for both parents. If I weren't there, they would've chosen bad passwords--I guess enforcing some level of basic password security is bad for business?
  • After signing in through web, they have to sign in AGAIN into the iOS app, so annoying
  • I get them signed in, and everything looks normal, except errors pop up after some time saying that there was an issue signing in, and the family shared vault never showed up. It seems I had to approve the accounts after they signed up, but the iOS app never even mentioned that, it just subtly broke. I did receive an email about approvals, but we only discovered that after debugging why the app wasn't working.
  • They're finally in. My mother-in-law goes to add a credit card. UI is really unintuitive:

... she asked: what is "section name" at the top? What do I put there? Why can't I scan my credit card? I wonder: why does verification number have a password generation cog next to it? Why does it feel like each field has a different alignment horizontally? I really feel like these composer surfaces should be way more polished than they are.

Certainly the most concerning part of this experience was the subtle iOS app breakage before I verified each new account. Does 1Password dogfood? Or is only the money-making flow tested?

1Password Version: 7.7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @colep!

I also sent this to 1P support with hopes that someone who actually cares will read this.

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion so we can keep everything in one place.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: KVB-78356-251

This discussion has been closed.