would like to contact you with a problem I am having

billgronke
billgronke
Community Member
edited August 2021 in iOS

My wife shares my 1 Password with me. She has her own vault that she has less than 6 apps that she uses on her iPad Pro and iPhone.
Her iPad Pro has fingerprint recognition and her phone has facial recognition. About 2 weeks ago the fingerprint recognition stopped working on the iPad Pro. It asks for the user ID and Password and won't accept it when it is entered. Her iPhone works fine. Also my 1 Password is working fine with my iPad Pro, iPhone and iMac. All devices have the latest operating systems. Please advise.
1 Password version 1Password 7
Version 7.8.7 (70807003)
iOS version 14.7.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:contact

Comments

• Hello @billgronke! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is having trouble with Touch ID on her iPad Pro. Sometimes Touch ID can expire on an iPhone or iPad and you can re-enable Touch ID by entering your 1Password account password.

You said that your wife is being asked for her user ID and Password. 1Password should only ask for your wife's 1Password account password when Touch ID expires, can you tell me a little more about what you're seeing on her device? Is your wife being asked for her 1Password account password when she taps on the 1Password icon on her iPad Pro's home screen?

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

Thank you for your speedy reply. On my wife's iPad Pro she cannot access 1 Password. For example when she goes to the bank to pay a bill the 1Password screen comes up and asks her for her password. Regardless of what she enters, it says incorrect password. Prior to that, sometimes when the 1Password screen appeared it had a little fingerprint logo and tapping that allowed access with your fingerprint. That logo doesn't appear. What is interesting her 1Phone (XsMax with facial recognition) works fine. My 1Phone XsMax, iPad Pro and iMac all work fine. I mention this because I originally synced her iPad Pro and iPhone 6s to the 1Password that I had already established.

I would be perfectly willing to re-install and resync the 1Password app in her iPad Pro if you think that would be the fastest fix.

I have been a 1Password user for many years and am very pleased with the program. It is excellent and certainly deserving of all the awards including those of the tech support.
    Thank you again,
    Bill

• Hi @billgronke

I mention this because I originally synced her iPad Pro and iPhone 6s to the 1Password that I had already established.

Gotcha. To clarify: are the two of you using an individual 1Password membership? If so, that's perfectly fine, I just want to further understand the setup you have so that we can provide the best path forward. Is your wife able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/, and if so does she see all of the data she expects to see in 1Password there?

What I suspect happened here is that she has a "Primary" (standalone-type) vault on her iPad Pro, which is not part of the 1Password account. The way unlocking 1Password 7 works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

My suspicion is that her iPad Pro is configured with the first scenario, and all other devices in question are configured in the second scenario. If that is the case, and if all of her data is stored in the 1Password account (not the "Primary" vault which it seems is only on the iPad Pro) then reinstalling and signing into your 1Password account would be the fastest way forward. I would recommend printing a copy of the Emergency Kit for the account to help facilitate this (and also to help prevent any situations in the future):

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps!

Ben

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for your help. On my wife's iPad Pro, it is not responding to unlocking 1Password. Up until about 2 weeks ago it was unlocking 1 Password from her fingerprint (either from the initial opening when the pad was turned on with the fingerprint and on occasion with the fingerprint logo on the 1Password screen.) Now nothing happens except a wrong password message when trying to open it. I am pretty sure that you are correct with the way things are set up. Can we discard the current 1Password on her iPad and reinstall it and re-sync it with everything. She does not need her own vault. That was originally set up so she didn't have to go through everything to get to the few she uses. We will put those in the favorites. I would actually prefer her to have immediate access. Being married a long, long time I am resigned to the fact that "what mine is hers, and what hers is hers." I use 1Password a lot not only for security but for ease of log-ins. Please advise if what I suggest is feasible. I would only do it if there was no chance in disrupting any existing 1Password files on our other devices. Everything is working very well with those.
    Thank you again for your help,
    Bill

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billgronke:

Now nothing happens except a wrong password message when trying to open it. I am pretty sure that you are correct with the way things are set up. Can we discard the current 1Password on her iPad and reinstall it and re-sync it with everything.

Yes, we can do that. Before we proceed, can you confirm that your 1Password credentials work to login to 1Password.com in a browser? Those are the credentials that you will need to use after reinstalling the app, so making sure that they work, and that you have access to your Emergency Kit as Ben suggested, will be important :)

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

Yes. I have my emergency kit. It is completely filled out and printed out including the QR code.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billgronke:

Ok great! Now you can remove the 1Password app on that device, and download it again from the App Store.

After you launch the app again afterwards, you will be able to login with the account credentials that you know :+1:

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

OK, all set up with my emergency kit and eliminated the existing 1Password from the iPad. Put the a new one on from the App store, just opened it from the cloud. I could see it installed it. When I opened it asked for my Master Password (nothing from the Emergency Kit). It works fine with the fingerprint ID and is very smooth like usual. Could not be more pleased. I certainly appreciate all of your help. It was a team effort (I believe I dealt with 3 different people). There was no redundancy just pointed questions and answers leading to exactly want I wanted. Again thank you all very much.
    Bill & Cassandra Gronke

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

Everything is going very well except I am getting notified every time I open 1Password. It says to check my profile for authorized devices. I did that and the profile was correct. We have 2 iPhones, 2iPad Pros and 1 iMac. It also has Safari on there as a user (I assume that is the extension and the website connection you instituted some time ago.) Is there anything I should do about this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billgronke:

Everything is going very well except I am getting notified every time I open 1Password. It says to check my profile for authorized devices.

Can you please post a screenshot of this message?

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

/Users/williamgronke/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.31.05 AM.png
    /Users/williamgronke/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.31.05 AM.png

Here are a couple. Also in my profile are duplicates (i.e. my iPad) with different dates. The most is Safari with about 4 or 5. Should I remove all but the latest one

Thank you for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billgronke:

You only shared the location of your screenshots, can you upload the screenshots themselves?

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/66/w4ht8e3npc26.png

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/74/4o59ywc8dl4z.png

I am sorry these should work.

One last question. When I open my login page on 1Password, I notice that some of my apps have duplicates. Is there a way I can eliminate the duplicates?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billgronke:

Thank you! This can happen after some updates of the operating system or of the browsers where you are using 1Password. In this case, you can certainly remove older devices from the list and just leave the most recent ones :+1:

One last question. When I open my login page on 1Password, I notice that some of my apps have duplicates. Is there a way I can eliminate the duplicates?

Yes, you can do that by moving the duplicates to the trash manually when you encounter one: tap the item in 1Password. then tap Edit. Scroll down and tap Delete :+1:

• billgronke
    billgronke
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your work on my case. Over the years I have become very dependent on 1Password and when I perceive I am having a difficulty, it becomes necessary to address it. Fortunately my problem was minor and easily fixed with your instructions. I am happy that everything is working fine. I appreciate your effort and patience.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Bill

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @billgronke, and you are very welcome! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.