1P app starts with Firefox

Options
Erikvd
Erikvd
Community Member

Everytime I start Firefox, the 1P app starts up and I need to log on...?
Why is this?

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 15.0 beta 5

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Erikvd 👋

I appreciate you giving the Early Access a try. 1Password in the browser now has the ability to connect to the 1Password desktop app in order to share their lock states - it's a pretty sweet feature! That said, 1Password shouldn't necessarily be opening as soon as you open Firefox. 1Password opens when I click the 1Password icon in my Firefox toolbar, which is what I'd expect. Can you confirm that 1Password is opening upon Firefox startup rather than clicking the 1Password icon, like I mentioned?

• Erikvd
    Erikvd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for checking; it doesn't happen anymore when starting firefox. in 1P settings I disabled "connect with 1Password in the Browser".
    I'm not sure what the benefits are of this option.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to have this with both Safari and Firefox...

Quite annoying!

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Simply starting the browser shouldn't cause 1Password to launch. Interacting with the extension should, if the app isn't already running. That said, we have been doing some brainstorming around this point... and there are open questions as to, .e.g.:

• What should it mean for the 1Password app to be "quit" — do we leave a headless 'helper' running in the background for the browser extension to talk to, or does "quit" mean entirely quit?
    • What should happen if browser integration is enabled but the app is not running?

@Erikvd

I'm not sure what the benefits are of this option.

Having the app and the extension connected makes it such that whatever accounts you have added to the app are available to the extension. It also makes them lock and unlock together.

Ben

• iCloud
    iCloud
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn Thanks for inputs. In my case too starting firefox brings up the big app login window, which is pretty annoying. Anyway the logged in state stays for a short few minutes (the default being 10 minutes), so let the user chose when to login.

It is a pretty sweet feature that browser extension shares the logged in state with the app. But was not that the case in version 7 previously also though? The advantage I would say in version 7 was that if you need to login to the browser extension, you just login to the browser extension and the app communicates in the background with its app, where as now, to login to browser it brings up the app interface to login. I think if the previous workflow could be re-implemented, allowing one to login only when they want, to either app or browser extension separately while letting them share the logged in states in the background that would be pretty sweet actually!

@Ben Great to know that this feature is being debated. I think, a helper app could always run in the background to monitor and communicate login states between browser and app. If the app is not active, it only maintains the browser's logged in state, when available it communicates their states between each other, that is, initiating login or logout from wither app or browser extension gets transmitted to the other through the helper, unlike how the app seems to be now working as the communicator. The goal should be to let user have power to decide to run the app or the browser extension independently when they want, while letting those communicate with each other, if they both happen to be running.

App: 8.2.2-10.Nightly
    Browser Extension: Firefox , 2.0.5

• timle8n1
    timle8n1
    Community Member
    Options

I have this on Safari too - I have no issue with it launching if I click the 1Password item in safari however if not running it launches, wants to unlock, and then opens the full app just by opening Safari. This is bad. And does not happen in 1Password7.

This discussion has been closed.