Does 1Password anywhere work with Windows XP?

bege
bege
Community Member
Hi,
I tried to use 1P from a USB stick as described on this website
http://help.agile.ws...rdanywhere.html
When opening the html-file I get twice the message, that a script requests unsafe permissions (Unknown: UniversalFileRead). I clicked allow twice.
When entering the password it says incorrect password - although it is correct and works both with the main application and the Firefox extension.

In Internet Explorer the page remains white after allowing scripts.

Doesn't this feature work with Windows XP or is there another reason for this malfunction?
Regards

Windows XP SP3
Firefox 13.0.1
1P 1.0.9.296
Firefox extension 3.9.4
IE 8

Comments

• Hi bege, I'm a new user, I assume like yourself, but I'll give you possible answers.
    We seem to be on a similar time zone.
    But it may be best for support in whatever time zone they are to properly answer you.

As for will it work with XP, I don't know, I use win 7.
    However if I understand you its the HTML file that you are trying to open, yes? So the opertating system should not matter ?
    And you are opening the file locally, the USB of course.

Windows explorer will not open the file, according to support, I think the extension or feature for using Anywhere is not provided.
    As for Firfefox, Chrome, they block the opening of local files (for security) which includes the USB HTML file for Anywhere.

I found that Safari on the PC opened the file ok, since I guess it does not have that blocking feature in it.

Anyway if it's Anywhere you want to open I downloaded a Portable browser called Pale Moon, and installed in on the USB DISK with a copy of the agile keychain file. It as a last resort can be used to open and get the info you want from, with your master password entry etc, it in its present form does not block, and at least one can read the file.

I hope this helps.
    If not wait a few hours for the sun to move, or the earth to turn, whatever way you wish to look at it.

Walter

• Bege: I should add that this is with the latest updated browsers, and at this time what I said was true, however browsers change and other software becomes incompatible.
    That's why I got a portable browser and it will not be updated, but kept on the USB.

I would download Safari on you PC, see it that opens the file, if so then that tells you something more.

Walter
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    Hi Walter,
    thank you for your replies.
    Unfortunately the behaviour of the portable Palemoon browser is exactly the same as of the Firefox on my computer. "incorrect password" although it is correct.
    The opening of the local file should not be the problem because I allowed the two requests when opening the html-file.

So I hope that someone of the staff will pass by here.
    Regards
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    If you are using any version of Google Chrome or a version of Firefox newer than 12 you cannot use 1PasswordAnywhere in “local file mode”, i.e. you cannot use a local file URL like file:///Users/dave/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html. Accessing 1PasswordAnywhere in this way will fail because Chrome and Firefox will prevent it from loading any of its files. This limitation is because Chrome and Firefox prevent web applications from running in this way. The warning you got when you clicked "Allow" was only for the HTML file, but 1Password needs to load all the pieces of your data file. The browsers do not allow this.

The easiest way to workaround this is to store your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] file on a web server or service like Dropbox. If you need offline access to 1PasswordAnywhere you will need to use another browser or modify Chrome’s settings by adding the following command line option:

-–allow-file-access-from-files

Please let me know how it goes if you access the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.html[/font] file from the Dropbox website after logging in to your Dropbox account: https://dropbox.com/
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    Hi khad,

thank you for your answer, but nothing works.
    I tried it with the keychaine folder in the GMX Media center - doesn't work at all.
    I tried it in dropbox - same as local: two requests for script activity, then entering the password - incorrect password.
    I tried it with an older version of Palemoon-portable - same.
    With respect to dropbox: I am happy with having my things with me, not "up in the cloud".
    So I'd prefer a solution with the keychaine on the USB stick - and if necessary a usable portable browser on it, too. But it must work on any (windows-)machine, otherwise a portable solution doesn't make sense.

Regards
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I tried it with the keychaine folder in the GMX Media center - doesn't work at all.

Right. As I mentioned above, Chrome and Firefox prevent web apps from running fro your local file system. I provided a workaround with Chrome above: the command line switch. You can also use Safari.

I tried it in dropbox - same as local: two requests for script activity, then entering the password - incorrect password

This is not possible. If you access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox.com website there are no prompts. It is only when you access the files locally that there are prompts and it does not work.

I tried it with an older version of Palemoon-portable - same.

Only Safari, Firefox, and Chrome are supported. You may have success with other (derivative) browsers (when not attempting to access the file locally), but we cannot offer support for them.

With respect to dropbox: I am happy with having my things with me, not "up in the cloud".

The choice is always yours. I am only providing you with options to get things working. Dropbox is one option. If you are concerned about security, please know that from the moment we designed the Agile Keychain data format we ensured that it was able to withstand an attack should your data fall into the wrong hands, either as a result of a Dropbox breach or if someone physically stole your computer. As such, we use 128-bit AES encryption to protect your sensitive 1Password data as well as many other mechanisms to stop an attacker from ever accessing your information and we detail this here:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

So, as long as you use a secure master password that you don't use elsewhere, your 1Password data is incredibly safe even when stored on a service like Dropbox. If you're not sure about the strength of your master password, please do take a look at our recent blog post on this:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/toward-better-master-passwords/

So I'd prefer a solution with the keychaine on the USB stick - and if necessary a usable portable browser on it, too. But it must work on any (windows-)machine, otherwise a portable solution doesn't make sense.

To recap, here are the numerous workarounds for the limitations imposed by Chrome and Firefox:

1. Use Safari.
    2. Use the command line switch with Chrome: [font=courier new,courier,monospace]-–allow-file-access-from-files[/font]
    3. Use the Dropbox.com website to access 1PasswordAnywhere. This works in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

The limitation is not imposed by 1Password. If you would like to see the limitation lifted or changed, you will need to contact Mozilla and Google since they are the ones who make Firefox and Chrome.
  • Walter.hmcampbell
    edited July 2012
    Hi bege
    You stiil seem to be mad keen to have a local solution. If your still want to pursue that and apart from backing up the previous advice given, you could still go round and try all the various other portable browsers, you may find one that works for you.
    If so embed it with your USB, dont change it and that wiil be it, you want to freeze it as a solution.
    It surprises me that Safari does not work for you, but that may be a Safari version or XP difference, or other issue, I don't know.

However the local USB is quite limiting, no real synching sharing etc, but you can say you are secured from the cloud and perhaps those are not issues you, synching, dont trust the cloud, don't trust it either, cloud storage, unless I have control of the encryption, not theirs.
    Not that I have any connection with Agilebits apart from being a customer, I feel confident with the encryption structures they have provided with 1Passport, but not before I reviewed all the forum discussions notes and Trust statements, no back doors etc and their valid responses to other critical responses.

Anyway convince yourself or otherwise,

Cheers
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    I tried it again with dropbox.
    Right, there are no prompts.
    But still "incorrect password".
    I tried it 10 and more times. The password works with the firefox addon. I deleted and retransfered the keychaine to dropbox.
    "incorrect password"
    If you don't have an idea what the reason may be I'll give it up.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Do you have any "special characters" in your master password? I don't think there are any issues with them, but it would be good to rule that out as the source of any of the trouble.

Is your master password only a-z, A-Z, and numbers?
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    edited July 2012
    khad wrote:

Do you have any "special characters" in your master password? I don't think there are any issues with them, but it would be good to rule that out as the source of any of the trouble.

Is your master password only a-z, A-Z, and numbers?

there's a German "umlaut" in it. The main application and the Firefox extension don't mind, does the html-file of the keychain?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    I seem to recall a possible issue with this in the past, but I thought it was resolved. A simple way to test would be to change the password to the character without an umlaut, let Dropbox sync the change (if applicable), and then try it again.
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    Okay, I changed the password - and needed an hour to make the Firefox add-on work again. On the way I found your recommendation in this forum NOT to change the password. Now I now why.

Yes, entering the changed password in the html-file of the keychain works without an umlaut in the password. So the main application, the add-on and the html-file should be compatible with each other (preferring to make umlauts possible, for international use of 1P).

Well, the new message after entering the password is, that the keychain has been worked with version 2, 1P Anywhere needs version 3. Checking for updates gives the result that I have the current version.
    So I come back to the question in the topic of this thread: Does 1Password Anywhere work with Windows XP?

I will make no more tests with 1Password on my computer. If possible, please, ask your staff to do so.
    If you will post that you have made 1Password Anywhere work smoothly, I will be pleased to use it.

Regards
  • Hi bege.
    According to Agilebits it's ok with XP, see their link below.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/requirements.html

So perhaps you should revisit or start again since if you have IPassport 3 now, it's new story, try the other browsers etc ?

Walter

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey bege,

1PasswordAnywhere works great in Windows XP since the supported browsers also work in Windows XP. The operating system does not affect 1PasswordAnywhere at all as long as the browser supports the features 1PasswordAnywhere needs to work.

I have made a note that there are still problems with "special characters" in 1PasswordAnywhere's master password input field.

It sounds like that is the only problem you were having, and now that you have changed the password it should work fine.

I'm not sure what you mean when you write:

Well, the new message after entering the password is, that the keychain has been worked with version 2, 1P Anywhere needs version 3. Checking for updates gives the result that I have the current version.

The current version of 1Password for Windows is 1.0.9.296. If you are referring to 1Password for Mac, 1PasswordAnywhere was only introduced in version 3, so the fact that you are using it means you are not using version 2. Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? This is very confusing.

I will make no more tests with 1Password on my computer. If possible, please, ask your staff to do so.
    If you will post that you have made 1Password Anywhere work smoothly, I will be pleased to use it.

Aside from the aforementioned issue with special characters in the master password, 1PasswordAnywhere works very well for all of us here at AgileBits. If you are still having trouble, we won't be able to help unless you are willing to work with us to figure out what is happening in your specific case. If you want to continue working to resolve the issue we are here to help. If not, I don't know how else we can help. :(

Please let me know.
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    edited July 2012
    khad wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean when you write:

The current version of 1Password for Windows is 1.0.9.296. If you are referring to 1Password for Mac, 1PasswordAnywhere was only introduced in version 3, so the fact that you are using it means you are not using version 2. Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? This is very confusing.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    What version of 1Password was used to create that [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] file? At the least, what version of 1Password was used to make the most recent change to the data?

What versions of 1Password are you running in Windows and OS X?
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Have you tried to repair your keychain? File > Repair 1Password Data.
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    edited July 2012

Have you tried to repair your keychain? File > Repair 1Password Data.

That was the key to success. Thanks.

Is it normal, that after a short while the html-file must be unlocked again with the master password?
    The time is very short. Can that be configurated?
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

What version of 1Password was used to create that [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] file? At the least, what version of 1Password was used to make the most recent change to the data?

I don't know. I use 1P since the Beta phase.
    What versions of 1Password are you running in Windows and OS X?

Only Windows, the version mentioned in the first post.
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    By the way, 1P Anywhere now also works with Palemoon-Portable version 12 on an USB Stick. The only inconvenience is that one has to allow scripts with every login one wants to see.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update! I'm glad everything is working well now. :)

The auto-lock timeout is not configurable in 1PasswordAnywhere. It is only configurable in the main 1Password application.
This discussion has been closed.