Where is share sheet in 1Password 8 on Mac?

Options
Mirek Petricek
Mirek Petricek
Community Member

In 1Password 7 I can easily share things using the standard share sheet menu:

In iP8 there is no such thing. How can I print things or send stuff over to someone by Airdrop or text message?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• KirkMcPike
    KirkMcPike
    Community Member
    Options

Expecting an Electron app to work like a Mac app is a fool's errand. Electron apps don't care about conforming to the expectations of Mac users. They are just going to give us a lousy Linux user experience.

• Hey @Mirek Petricek,

Thanks for this question. My understanding is that full sharing functionality isn't built out in this Early Access version, so what you're seeing here won't be everything that 1Password 8 will be capable of when it reaches the Stable release.

However, will this share sheet option specifically return? I'm not sure.

It's possible that there may actually be better ways to do this - there could be options and features built into 1Password itself that would provide the flexibility to print, send items to friends, share items with certain permissions in place, and so on - even beyond what's currently possible. And that might be the better way to go.

But nothing's for sure yet. I have just filed this request to our developers on your behalf, so that they can consider this option among the range of approaches that will be possible with the finished app. Whatever happens, we want the final product to give you the feeling, "Yeah, it should work this way. This does what I want."

Thanks for letting us know that this feature is important to you!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#870

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for "share sheet" functionality- this is definitely one of the sharp edges that Electron apps often expose on Macs.

• Noted. ;)

• Mirek Petricek
    Mirek Petricek
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@PeterG_1P

Well surely, no matter what tech stack you use you are not going to take useful features away? I'd assume when 1P8 will be eventually released, it will do everything that 1P7 does, but better. Or not?

Not sure which "better ways to do this" specifically you mean. I might not print that much anymore, but I absolutely use Airdrop or iMessage/SMS to share stuff with people around me and I certainly don't want to see these features go.

I am not asking for any new better feature, I am asking for not taking away stuff that works. IMHO this should be an implicit requirement / red line for any new software release.

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021
    Options

HI @Mirek Petricek , thanks for your perspective here. I understand that Airdrop and iMessage / SMS is important to you, and I hear you.

I can't elaborate too much on "better ways to do this" because it wouldn't be right to commit to a feature that isn't built yet, one way or another. The post above was my attempt to say:

1. We understand that being able to share your items is important
    2. It might be possible to improve the ability to share items beyond what already exists in 1Password 7
    3. I can't yet say exactly how that will work

We talk a lot on the forums about UIs, and workflows, and how different aspects of the app can support people to do what they do, but the first thing here is always security. My understanding is that is one reason that this feature might change - because it's possible there are more secure options than using that standard share sheet.

Again, I'm not saying this feature won't be in 1Password 8, just outlining some of the considerations involved. 🙂

• Mirek Petricek
    Mirek Petricek
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I understand that security is the most important aspect for you.

For me, it is also important that my vault is secure. However, it doesn't mean that all items in it are equally sensitive. I am happy to share stuff from my keychain through channels like Airdrop, text message, or email. Like pizza ordering login with my colleagues or relatives, or my frequent flyer number with a person who is booking a flight for me.

"to commit to a feature that isn't built yet, one way or another"

the feature is built. It's been present in 1Password 5, 6, 7, and perhaps even earlier versions. I am reporting there is a regression in 8 beta. Unless you already have that much better, more secure replacement, please don't break it.

• petvas
    petvas
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 8 must behave as a native app. Support for the sharing sheet and handoff should be in the app. Having an app that doesn't know on which OS it runs, is just bad for the user experience. I would like to be able to use the full functionality macOS offers me. Not some kind of proprietary thing the 1Password developers created just because of their bad decision to move to Electron. I have a better idea: Why just stop releasing a Mac version? You are doing your users a disservice and to be honest, at this point it would just be better to just give up on the Mac completely. Just create a web extension like Last Pass does and be over with it. I am sorry for the harsh words, but this is something that Agile Bits did, by giving up the platform that enabled the pure existence of this company. It doesn't matter how successful Agile Bits can be in the future. If you forget your roots, then there will come a time where you will really regret it.
    Very disappointed. At least Apple is giving us a UI for iCloud Keychain and of course this will be more than enough for many Mac users..

• DitchComfort
    DitchComfort
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah we need "Handoff" please.

And I agree with you regarding iCloud Keychain (now also with the possibility of TOTP). If I could store any other information like credit cards or IDs, etc., I would have gone for Keychain right away. I don't need much more, or sharing functionality…

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

I’m an OG 1PW user. Going back to the first version. I still have emails I exchanged with Dave Teare providing feedback on version 2.0. My initial reaction to 1PW8 not being a native app was to seriously consider iCloud Keychain. Then I remembered how that won’t fill the security code of a credit card and more importantly provides no mechanism for sharing passwords with family members. If Apple just did that I would jump ship in a heartbeat. But I’m not holding my breath on that. So now I’m just hoping AgileBits will take this criticism seriously and rethink this “lowest common denominator” development approach. I don’t have a knee jerk hostility to Electron. But I do have a problem with a previously Mac-like UX suddenly not being as the result of an “upgrade”. At least the iOS apps are still native. For now at least. :|

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on share sheet--I don't often need it, but when I do, I do.

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add, one more thought when one does need the share sheet functionality, it is important that it be the actual OS-native share sheet widget (as opposed to some sort of ersatz Electron-based version) since the contents will need to vary according to whatever the user might have installed on their machine...

This discussion has been closed.