1Password8 for Mac

Options

I was very excited with the release of the early access version for the Mac. However, that enthusiasm has been dashed a bit in my early experience using this product. Here are some of the issues that make it hard to transition from 7 to 8, for me.

1. Every access to 1Password in the Firefox browser requires at least two authentications. First I am prompted to authenticate when I try to access a field in a form. I complete that and get a message that I need to CMD+. to access 1Password. If I do that I either get prompted to enter my password (no use of Touch ID here) or I get prompted to open the 1Password app and then I need to authenticate there (with Touch ID). So, adding a password in the browser went from simple to time-consuming and complex.

2. CMD+\ appears to be gone! I relied heavily on this shortcut to access 1Password. However, it does nothing in the early access build. Why in the world was this removed?

3. It seems that apps that worked with 1Password in the past, now don't. I need to explore this more to see which ones and provide details, but I'm finding myself cutting and pasting far more often than I have previously.

4. The watchtower view is great. I like the graphical representation of things, but wish there was a way to click an item to see the issues. For example, 4 passwords are listed as terrible. I can't click on that box though to see what they are.

Mike

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello @mikeshappell,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to answer your questions.

1. Every access to 1Password in the Firefox browser requires at least two authentications. First I am prompted to authenticate when I try to access a field in a form. I complete that and get a message that I need to CMD+. to access 1Password.

Your description tells me that there is communication trouble between the 1Password desktop app and the 1Password in your browser. The first step we should try is to ensure that the 1Password app is in Applications folder and not in Downloads. After that, please give your computer a restart and try again to see how it works? If you still have to unlock them separately, please send us 1Password logs and a diagnostics report from your computer to our support site here, and we will get back quickly. https://support.1password.com/contact-us/

You can follow the steps here to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Open the 1Password app > Select 1Password in the menu bar > Preferences > Advanced > Send Diagnostics

You can try the steps here to create 1Password's logs: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

2. CMD+\ appears to be gone! I relied heavily on this shortcut to access 1Password. However, it does nothing in the early access build. Why in the world was this removed?

The "Cmd+\" works almost similar to the inline menu that appears under the username and password fields where you can press the down key and enter/return to fill in your website right away, or you can select the login item you want to fill when you have multiple items, so I reckon using "Cmd+\" is not necessary with the new 1Password. If you give it a few tries, I believe you will forget the "Cmd+\" since it serves no additional benefits.

3. It seems that apps that worked with 1Password in the past, now don't. I need to explore this more to see which ones and provide details, but I'm finding myself cutting and pasting far more often than I have previously.

The 1Password in the browser is the one that does all the saving and filling jobs, so if the current 1Password in your browser works on a website, 1Password 8 should also work. That said, please send me the links to the sites that don't play nicely with 1Password. I will do some tests and get back with what I find.

4. The watchtower view is great. I like the graphical representation of things, but wish there was a way to click an item to see the issues. For example, 4 passwords are listed as terrible. I can't click on that box though to see what they are.

There should be small components under the "Overall Password Strength" that allow you to show the vulnerable items. Weak and Terrible passwords are added together, so selecting that will show you all the passwords you should change. Please check my screenshot for more details.

This discussion has been closed.