Shaftoe
Shaftoe
Community Member
edited August 2021 in iOS

On my 2 iPads and 2 iPhones when I autofill credentials to log into Earthlink using 1pw the proper info fills but when I click enter the fills disappear and am unable to open. I have a similar problem with Chase credit card but the credentials will not even fill the log in space. This procedure works correctly when I input my credentials manually or I'm using 1pw on my iMac. All my devices and apps have current updates. I suspect other iOS apps have a similar problem, I just haven't gotten around to checking them all. How can I fix this?

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.7.1

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Sometimes it is not possible for 1Password to detect the current app. Some apps are detected with the help of their URLs, others don't have a URL. So it is a bit difficult for 1Password (and other password managers) to find something to detect an app.

When I used an Android smartphone long time ago I tried this there and here, it seemed to work much better. Android apps seem to have an ID which you could save into an 1Password entry. But on iOS / iPadOS, apps doesn't seem to have a unique ID. It is different on another device.

• Shaftoe
    Shaftoe
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear it sounds like with the instances like I described I will have to manually open the web site and input the password maybe with a copy/paste from 1pw or go to my iMac when I need to access those troublesome sites.
    Too bad. :|
    I wonder if 1pw could in the future provide a shortcut to facilitate such maneuvers when on an iOS device.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Just to be clear: Do you mean apps or websites? If you are using Safari browser on iOS, you should be able to use autofill for credentials on websites.

• Shaftoe
    Shaftoe
    Community Member

Sorry for the slow response, I had typed a reply soon after your response but I didn't realize my reply had not been posted until I just now discovered. I am using Safari browser on iOS and am unable to autofill credentials for a few websites including Earthlink and Chase card services. Does that mean I have an incorrect setting in 1pw or is this a condition that that I have to live with?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Shaftoe:

I am using Safari browser on iOS and am unable to autofill credentials for a few websites including Earthlink and Chase card services. Does that mean I have an incorrect setting in 1pw or is this a condition that that I have to live with?

It might be an incorrect setting, or it might be a website that does not work out of the box. When you visit those websites, does 1Password suggest you the correct logins at least?

• Shaftoe
    Shaftoe
    Community Member

No. All of my iOS devices have this problem but it only occurs with some of the web sites. 1pw will fill the user name and password but when I choose "enter" the boxes clear without a response. I can copy the credentials from 1pw and paste them into the boxes but the response is the same. If I manually type in the credentials the web sites open without a problem. This is a pain when working with 12 random character passwords. If I'm on my desktop iMac I do not have this problem. All works well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Shaftoe:

I can copy the credentials from 1pw and paste them into the boxes but the response is the same. If I manually type in the credentials the web sites open without a problem

If this happens even when you copy and paste credentials manually, it means that the website is actively trying to make you type your credentials instead. There are unfortunately some sites that behave like this, so in these cases your best bet is to use a word-based password which might be easier to type than 12 random characters.

• Shaftoe
    Shaftoe
    Community Member

Actually I'm relieved that my 1pw is not the source of the problem but I find it curious that my desktop iMac does not have this problem. I am able to log into all web sites using 1pw w/o fail. Although being a total nube re this stuff my guess is that portable devices have a few random limitations vs a full featured desk top machine.
    Thanks for taking a look at this. Now I can move on to other mysteries of the digital world.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Shaftoe:

Filling on macOS and on iOS uses different technologies, so it's possible that you are going to see different behaviors on different platforms. If it helps, I have seen this happen in the past on a few websites :)

• Shaftoe
    Shaftoe
    Community Member

I appreciate your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.