Watchtower - Overall Password Strength - TERRIBLE - But which are they????

Chipili
Chipili
Community Member

In Watchtower, the Overall Password Strength tells me I have 33 "TERRIBLE" but which are they? I would expect the 33 Terrible to be clickable but they are not. So I'm blundering on in the dark.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.1.2-62.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2021

Hi @Chipili!

Underneath Watchtower there's a box titled Weak Passwords. Here, you can click show items to see passwords that could be better. Each item, in its respective password field, will say "fair", "poor", "terrible", and so on.

Is that a helpful start?

• Chipili
    Chipili
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

I see that but I have 33 Terrible and only 30 Unsecured and 138 Weak!

I assume Terrible is worse than Weak?

Unsecured and Weak have "Show Items" links but TERRIBLE does not - a Terrible oversight!

• Terrible is indeed worse than Weak 😣

Thank you for letting us know about the discrepancy between how these items are presented - it has been duly noted for the devs!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

All the watchtower categories have completely different criteria. They are not just severities of the same category (terrible/weak password quality). Actually they have completely different criteria.

Weak passwords are too simple or too short passwords.
    Unsecure websites are not logins with bad/weak passwords, but logins where the website starts with http:// instead of https://, so data transferred to these websites can be sniffed by 3rd parties.
    Vulnerable passwords are not a special kind of weak passwords, but instead are publicly exposed passwords (collected in the "have I been pwned" database, which 1Password uses for this check), so they can be cracked by hackers by simply trying every publicly exposed password. Not only simple passwords are listed in that database - also very complex ones.

• That's exactly right - thanks @Tertius3! :smile: We have a Support article about Watchtower warnings here:

About the Watchtower categories

• phoenix1386
    phoenix1386
    Community Member

@dteare @roustem @Ben

I do not know why the bands are not clickable to reveal the items from the get go, but I do think that none of you would disagree on how useful that would be.

If so, kindly incorporate this before this is released out to the public.

Right now, I would like that all my passwords are in the Fantastic category as much as possible, since there are some websites that limit my choices so I will have some under lower categories, but, again, why would something like this not be available in a major revision as v8?

I hope we can have a commitment from you on this no-brainer functionality, rather than something like "on our radar". For now, Watchtower is useless, since it only shows me weak passwords. What if I want to know my good passwords that I want to change to Fantastic passwords?

Revision 8.2.0-56.BETA on macOS saves me 1 click for Quick Access, but is still a far cry from 1Password Mini, where if I clicked the icon in the menu bar, I could see all details 1Password has on the current web page I am viewing without requiring any further click.

Going through these forums and the kind and tone of responses the founders are dishing out to paying users, I am sure they have their hearts and minds set on changing some things for the worse in the name of development, but let's not make the product cumbersome to use when it was absolutely not so before.

There have been countless times when I would click 1Password Mini from the menu bar in macOS, as I would remove it from Safari toolbar to save some space for the insane number of tabs I have. Now, I have to keep 1Password in the toolbar to achieve the functionality that Mini provided from the menu bar in macOS.

I truly hope that decision-makers sit back and reflect on their own values and the direction they want to take with design of this amazing password manager that, as of v7, has been nothing but joy to use. Everything accessible in minimal number of clicks. Today, with v8, there are clicks added in a lot of places. Please do look back at the choices in design.

I am not talking of using Electron. Sure, it is taking double the memory version 7 did and I abhor and resent the extra memory usage as well as the decision-makers' thinking that this extra memory usage was okay to inflict on paying customers. It shows disregard towards system resources on devices of paying users, and it hurts me enough to reconsider my subscription when the time comes. But that day is 4 months away, and is another discussion.

This is about Watchtower being gloriously useless - beautiful to look at, but the moment you decide to act upon what Watchtower is showing, you realise you can do nothing unless you want to change weak passwords. For now, kindly incorporate viewing of all passwords from the bands. It would be a wonderful thing to have, and make 1Password more useful since people would be able to see groups of passwords and take action on them as they see fit.

• upendedshark
    upendedshark
    Community Member

What @phoenix1386 said. Way too many clicks to get to things, no action can be taken except weak passwords, and after editing a weak password, the view goes back to All Items, meaning I have to click again on watchtower then weak passwords to look at the next.

Why not also show password strength on the middle column with all the accounts?

One other change that is frustrating and creating more steps is that I can't check and uncheck which vaults to view anymore. I have to "create collections" then switch there. the problem is that you can't easily switch between vaults when searching or filtering for things. If someone wants to create a new vault to bulk move a bunch of logins, its extremely tedious unless you know exactly which account should be moved and has not been moved:
    1. select collection
    2. use filters, search, etc to find candidate logins
    3. switch back to all vaults
    4. search for specific login & move vault

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Went to check WatchTower--love the new look!

--but the functionality has major problems--I will highlight the two that most bugged me:

1. I should be able to click the bands, or the descriptors on the top. I have some "terrible" passwords. Which ones??
    2. A back button after I drill into an entry to fix it instead of starting all over again.
  • chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

I echo the 2 points made above. I had loads of passwords to change, each time i edited an item it frustratingly didn’t know I’d clicked the item from watchtower. After each change I had to go back into watchtower, click the category, go to the next item.

It should simply have a back button to go to the list view for the category you were on.

And each category in the bands should definitely be clickable

This discussion has been closed.