Sidebar should be hideable for personal/family users

Now that categories have become a drop down, the sidebar is full of information which is irrelevant.

• I only have 1 Account - so don't need to change.
  • I only have 3 Vaults - 1 Private, 1 Shared with Family, 1 Shared with Spouse
  • I don't use tags as they help nothing.

If you are not part of a business 1-Password team consider not having the sidebar, or back to using the categories, or allowing it to be hidden, minimised to nothing.

The personal version allowed you to break into businesses as so many of us recommended it, but when business-focussed software is used by non-business people it typically doesn't work for us. v8 for the Mac has crossed that line.

In your design sessions please make sure you have a Persona of the techie supporting the family.

I have a 1 Password Family Subscription, shared with my Parents, a child, my spouse and a step-child. the other 4 children and step children use the built in on either Google or Apple depending on their ecosystem preference. Pivoting to business users makes sense, leaving the personal users behind doesn't.

1Password Version: 8.2.2-6.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5

Comments

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

I use many vaults, though am a Families subscriber as well, and a number of tags, but would still want the ability to hide the sidebar. I've just gotten used to using the Search enough that the sidebar seems a bit redundant and just takes up extra screen real estate. There already is a control to change the sidebar size, I'd love to see the ability to hide it completely with this.

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021

@uShant and @alexclst, thanks for your perspectives here. I have accordingly filed a feature request with our developers to make the sidebar minimizable / hideable, and included your comments for discussion as well. Thanks for letting us know how this part of the experience feels for you. While I can't make any promises about what future versions of 1Password will include, I personally think the ability to customize the UI experience in this way would be pretty cool. 🙂 Thanks again for the input!

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member

Agree... I'm REALLY trying to use 1Password 8, but everywhere I look I keep seeing a step backwards :(

Sidebar is a giant waste of space for me now that categories are in a dropdown. I have no need for multiple vaults other than mine and one shared one.

• Thank you for the feedback, @mlebarron. I hope we're able to accommodate your needs in some way in a future update. :smile:

• Hi @mlebarron @uShant @alexclst !

A progress report from us here: the latest Beta (8.6.0-43), now contains both the ability to place the Categories in the sidebar, if you so choose, as well as a collapsible sidebar. We hope you'll enjoy this, and look forward to hearing your impressions!

https://1password.community/discussion/127435/beta-6-of-the-year-is-now-available#latest

• uShant
    uShant
    Community Member

Just come back to try it again, it's all brilliant. Many thanks for sorting this.

• Awesome, thank you for letting us know this suits your needs, @uShant !

This discussion has been closed.