Inconsistent use of slashed zero?

In Mac 8.2.2-6.BETA, zeros in some credit card fields are slashed, while others are not. Is this intended?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello!

That's a very astute observation! Yes, it is an intentional decision to use a slashed zero in some fields. Slashed zeroes can help legibility in some circumstances, especially passwords where the number "0" could easily be mistaken for the letter "O". Credit card numbers and CVV share a lot of attributes with passwords; however, I couldn't find an explicit reason that we choose to use slashed zeroes here. It is an intentional decision not to use them in text fields (e.g., notes).

Do you have a preference for one or the other? Would it improve legibility for you to use slashed zeroes in the expiration and phone number fields?

Thanks so much for your feedback. Cheers!

• stevenbagley
    stevenbagley
    Community Member

My preference would be to use (or provide an option to use) slashed zeros in ALL fields in which a zero could occur, including textual notes. As you note, the whole point is to maximize visual discrimination of O from 0, which is desirable every place a zero could occur.

The current behavior isn't even consistent, as the credit number seen here in the overview column does not show the slashed zero.

• Thank you for sharing your preferences and again for the incredible catch! I've filed an issue with our design team. Cheers!

• tewha
    tewha
    Community Member

I've no strong opinion here, but I did want to point out that if a slashed zero is for readability it's really only important in fields that contain both O and 0. A credit card number is only going to contain 0. But if's consistency is the goal, you'd want a slashed zero in both. It seems like an interesting tradeoff!

• stevenbagley
    stevenbagley
    Community Member

I'm not sure I agree. The tradeoff only exists in the abstract. If in a single display a user sees some round shapes, and some round shapes with a slash, then they could, on the basis of no other information, conclude that all of the former are the letter "O", and all of latter are the numeral zero. It requires more scrutiny and reasoning about the implications of various field types and values to carry out the logic of readability you describe. Good design should not so burden the user. The obvious interpretation should be the interpretation. Note that the set of allowable values is not even clear from a field name: sometimes a license number is inaccurately named and can contain letters.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Good design should not so burden the user.

This. I think you shoot for consistency and do slashed zeros in all fields.

• Thank you, all. Your feedback is truly appreciated, and I hope we see a change come out of this discussion soon! :smile:

• Thanks so much for the feedback! As of the latest nightly release of 1Password 8, all zeroes are slashed and should be consistent regardless of field.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

As of the latest nightly release of 1Password 8

I'm not seeing it yet: 80202068, on NIGHTLY channel.

• I'm seeing slashed zeroes on fields except for "text" fields like username and notes. I'm following up to see if this is intentional or not. Thanks!

• The change was reverted because it font rendering issues in some locations. The issue is being revisited.

Thanks for your patience!

This discussion has been closed.