Web Form Details

How can I edit Web Form Details on 1password.com? Must I have the application installed locally, edit the web form details, then sync?

When I am on 1password.com looking at an entry, I can see the "Show Web Form Details" button, but when I click on edit, it goes away.

I do not have the application installed because I thought I could do everything (with the exception of exporting if I ever had to) from 1password.com.

Thanks,

Topher

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.24.1
OS Version: MacOS 11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @topher007!

I have tried this now and I confirm that I can't seem to find a way to edit web form details in the browser app. Perhaps this is something that we can consider adding in the future, but in the meantime can you let us know what you are trying to do? There might be an alternative that does not require editing that section.

• topher007
    topher007
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

@ag_ana One of the web pages had a redesign and element IDs changed so it wasn't filling properly. I thought the easiest thing to do was simply edit the name of the fields. I can just fill the form out again, save the new and delete the old one. Not a big deal but would be nice to be able to directly edit. Thanks for your reply.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @topher007 ,

Indeed, it is not possible to edit web form details in our web app. In general, we're moving away from web form details and are utilizing custom fields instead.

If you save a brand new login on the page using 1Password in the browser, it will save any fields that are not username/password as a custom field instead of storing it in the saved web form details. You can also manually create custom fields in a login item and match the field's name with the HTML ID/NAME of the field on the page. That would work identically as the web form details did.

• topher007
    topher007
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hi - it's been a while since my original post but I want to see if there is any workaround to this as both KeeperSecurity and Bitwarden are able to autofill this for me. If not, it's really not a huge deal, I can always copy/paste or just type in the field.

So here is the situation. At this web page I have to enter the usual username/password to log in and then I have to answer a security question at https://yamahamotorfinanceusa.com/?page=security. The problem as you can see from the two screenshots is that the Username field and security answer has the same input ID name (userLogin). I believe if the identifiers had unique names, then this wouldn't be an issue.

The only thing I can think of is that I can create two logins for the two pages to accomplish the autofill but I find that messy as I would like it to work with one login entry. As stated earlier both Keeper and Bitwarden handle it like a champ. Since we all know that 1Password is better than Keeper and Bitwarden combined, then I should be able to do it in 1Password too ;)

In both Bitwarden and Keeper, I use "security_answer" as the custom field identifier and it works like a charm in one login entry but not in 1Password. 1Password always fills in the username instead of my security answer.

Thanks for your help! :)

MacOS 11.5.2, 1Password App 8.2.2-6.BETA, Firefox 91.0.2 (64-bit), 1Password Extension 2.1.0

Topher

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

Hey Topher,
    Thanks for sharing this website.

Using the same HTML ID is a big no-no (programming and designing wise), but some websites do that unfortunately.
    In this case, instead of relying on the ID of the field, let's try to rely on the placeholder of these fields. Here's how:

1. Open your 1Password, select the login item of this website and click on "Edit" to enter edit mode.
    2. Delete the username from the "username" field at the top of the login item and keep that field empty.
    3. Under the password and website address, select an empty Label and name it User ID* (case sensitive).
    4. Enter your username in the field of that label.
    5. Select another empty "Label" below and name it Answer (case sensitive), then fill in your answer for the security question under that label.
    6. Click on "Save" and see if autofilling works properly on that website now.

Did that work as expected?

ref: dev/core/core#9761

• topher007
    topher007
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Yes, thanks! That worked perfectly and I learned something new. I appreciate your help!

• @topher007

On behalf of Yaron, you are most welcome! :) Glad to hear the suggestions worked for you.

• topher007
    topher007
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Just one more.... I can't get this one to autofill. Any suggestions? This one seems a little hard because of the "type"

and here's the main login:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @topher007 ,

Is the issue on the first screenshot only or are you unable to autofill on the main login of the website as well?

On that first screenshot, you can try a custom field named "Crypto Pass" which is the label of the field, then change the field's type from "Text" to "Password".

• topher007
    topher007
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Hi @ag_yaron. Yes, the issue is on the first screenshot only.

Ok, so I moved my login password to a new custom field called 'password' and created a new custom field named called 'Crypto Pass' and that seemed to do the trick! I looked on the 1password.com website for custom fields but having trouble finding all these nice tips you are giving me. Do you have a link where I can learn more about custom fields?

The OTP fill rarely works on this site with 1PW. I think it has worked once or twice out of a lot of logins. I looked at the HTML code and it has a Placeholder value of "Enter code:". Is there a way to create a custom field to make 1PW enter the current OTP into that field since it's not doing it automatically?

Even if I place the cursor in the OTP field and click on the 1PW icon in the browser and click the Autofill button, it still won't fill.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021

Hey @topher007 ,
    I'm glad to hear that worked.

We don't have a guide on how to manually construct your own custom fields that will autofill correctly because our goal is to get 1Password's autofill logic to a point where you don't have to deal with that :)

Whenever you encounter a website where 1Password doesn't autofill something, you can actually collect the page's structure and send it over to us so we can use it to improve 1Password. Here's how:

1. Get to the field on the website where 1Password is not working as expected.
    2. Right-click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser's toolbar and select "Help" -> "Collect Page Structure".
    3. Send the downloaded file to support+x@1password.com alongside a short description of the issue and some helpful screenshots like you are providing here. :)

As for the TOTP autofill, you can try naming the TOTP field in your login item Enter Code: , which is the placeholder of that field on the page, and see if that works. Simply edit your login item for this website, select the empty Label of the TOTP field in the login item and paste the Enter Code: into it, then save and see if the TOTP is autofilled.
    Make sure not to delete/overwrite the TOTP field's actual secret/password! Only paste that text into the empty label, which is the name of the field. If you accidentally overwrite/delete the secret, it will not generate TOTPs anymore.

If it's not autofilled, collect the page's structure and send it over to us using the instructions above :)

• topher007
    topher007
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks... I didn't realize you could change the name of the OTP field. That seemed to work. It doesn't autofill and I have to click on the autofill button in the browser extension but that's better than nothing :)

Thanks for the tip to collect the page structure. I had no idea that existed. Have a great rest of your week and thanks again for all your help... you have been awesome!

Topher

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @topher007! And on behalf of Yaron, you are very welcome :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.