Keyboard shortcuts in linux beta app [Customization now available in Preferences > General]

ryderstorm
ryderstorm
Community Member

I just installed the 1password linux beta via snap. Signing in worked fine and the app seems to work without issue. I also use the Slack desktop client. In Slack, you can press "ctrl+shift+\" to open up the interface for adding a reaction to the most recent message. I use it all the time in Slack.

However, after installing the 1password beta, pressing "ctrl+shift+\" opens up the 1password app, no matter if the Slack desktop app is focused or not. Is there a way to change that in the beta? I didn't see any options for it in the 1password app settings.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2020

Hi @ryderstorm,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

It is not yet possible to change any application shortcuts in 1Password. It's the same shortcut we use on almost all platforms, so we chose that as the default for now. We'll add an option to let you change them all in a future update.

ref: dev/core/core#3374

• ryderstorm
    ryderstorm
    Community Member

Got it, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on the changelogs and reinstall once shortcut editing is in.

• :+1: :chuffed:

• erikth
    erikth
    Community Member

I have the same issue but with Sublime Text. I use ctrl+shift+l frequently but 1password intercepts it (locks 1pass), making it unusable in Sublime while 1pass is open. Would love to be able to configure the hotkeys.

Is there any ETA on when we might expect this option for the Linux app?

• @erikth

I don't have an ETA to share but it is on the radar. :+1: I can understand how frustrating it is to have a keyboard shortcut conflict you can't easily resolve, so I'll certainly advocate that we address this soon.

Ben

• ryderstorm
    ryderstorm
    Community Member

Hello - I just reinstalled the Linux desktop app and am still seeing the same issue. Any update on timeline for this? Or perhaps a workaround, like editing a local config file?

• Hey there @ryderstorm, thanks so much for checking in! I am unable to share any updates at this time, however work on keyboard shortcuts and configurability is definitely on the table for the Dev team to tackle. I apologize that I'm not able to share anything, but I do suggest keeping an eye on our Releases page so you can keep up-to-date with features and improvements as they roll out. :smile:

• ryderstorm
    ryderstorm
    Community Member

Got it, thanks for the update @Dayton_ag

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Dayton, you are welcome :+1: :)

• cliffrowley
    cliffrowley
    Community Member

It'd be great if this could be fixed soon. Even if you let us change it via a config file for now. I'm a developer myself I have a pretty solid muscle memory as I'm sure you can appreciate, and CTRL+SHIFT+Space is used by a lot of other programs that I use - so therefore I must quit 1password completely after I use it every time, which gets pretty tedious.

It bugs me enough that if it wasn't for the fact I have a family account I share with less technically inclined family members I'd be tempted to look at alternatives, but I'm hanging on in there in the hope of a solution soon.

Thanks for listening ;)

• I can say for sure that it's coming soon.

• Hi, everyone! 1Password 8.2.2-19, released yesterday, added the ability to change the global shortcuts. I hope you like it!

Also, if you're running Wayland, 1Password cannot register global shortcuts at all. Instead, I've started an article that describes how to set up global shortcuts on Wayland systems.

• cliffrowley
    cliffrowley
    Community Member

Yesss! Thank you!

• We're glad this is helpful, @cliffrowley. 😃 Feel free to let us know how this update works for you!

• cliffrowley
    cliffrowley
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P i can now leave 1Password running in the background and not worry about closing it so
    It doesn’t conflict with my existing shortcuts. I couldn’t ask for more!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is nice to hear @cliffrowley :)

This discussion has been closed.