Is 1Password 7 for Mac the last one that doesn't require a 1Password login/account?

cjbulow
cjbulow
Community Member

Looking at the posts and instructions is appears that if I start working with 1PW beta v8, that I now have to setup an account? Could you confirm? Sorry if I've missed a post or FAQ on this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow!

That is correct: 1Password 8 requires a 1Password Membership. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all the details :+1:

• MrJvG
    MrJvG
    Community Member

Can you still buy a license for 1PW7?
    Is there any discount :)

• @MrJvG,

Sales of licenses for 1Password 7 ended on June 15th, 2021 per https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

• chrism229
    chrism229
    Community Member

Please help me sort out some confusion here. I have had standalone licenses for many 1PW versions, including v.7 and participate in the beta program. I hadn't heard of v.8 until I logged in here for a different issue. I also have a 1PW account, as I use the extension in Linux as well as on my Macs and this was the only way to get things to work there. Poking around the site I see that 1PW is currently only for Windows, and that standalone licenses are history. So if there is to be a v.8 for macOS, what would it's purpose be—given there will be no standalone license, and a 1PW membership functions fine without a desktop app? What would you expect the path forward to be for someone like me?

• @chrism229

I prefer the desktop app myself. I do not prefer to edit my details in the browser. Long live the Desktop app and it also brings features like Touch ID and Apple Watch unlock to the table.

• wunthyll
    wunthyll
    Community Member

@ag_tommy then give us an app and not a glorified web page in an inefficient browser. Electron is never a good move for the consumer.

• I was more talking in the traditional browser interface. I am very happy to enter and manage my details in the new 1Password 8. I've been using it in the internal alpha phase, and it more than meets my needs. I do not stay in the interface that much. I add what I need, close it, and I'm on my way. I have found it easier to use than 1Password 7 in some regards. It's only going to get better with time. Just as 1Password 3,4,5,6, and 7 did. I have been using 1Password for 14+ years now, and it works for me — much of that as a user. I would encourage you to give it a try. Being here for so many version changes over the years, I know there will be issues to iron out. I have found a few spots that need love in my personal use. It's part of the process. I hope you'll keep a check on it. We might just win you over.

• DitchComfort
    DitchComfort
    Community Member

I have to agree with @ag_tommy. Before I recently did a clean install I was testing the 1P8 beta, and I find the app much cleaner, easy to use, and in some way more ‘modern’. And I usually don’t spend much time in the app (only for cleaning up and/or adding some stuff). As long as the app continues to improve and doesn’t take up too much RAM or CPU, I have faith in 1P8.

But, I have also checked out Apple Keychain to store my passwords and TOTP, and store other information and licenses in a secure note or something similar. Always nice to get rid of as many apps as possible, IMHO.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words @DitchComfort :)

• DitchComfort
    DitchComfort
    Community Member

My pleasure @ag_ana 😊

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• stacecom
    stacecom
    Community Member

It's a clean app, but holy cow is it ever slow. Since joining the beta, I am astounded at how much longer every action takes.

I get the desire to go to the Electron model, having a unified look and feel across OSes, but... wow. I really hope this is going to improve over time, because right now it's not a happy place across my environment.

This discussion has been closed.