Problem with suggested PW and PW i want to use

lasllcap
lasllcap
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Mac

I am trying to update/change a site PW; actually, a number of them as they were exposed in a recent hack.

When I click on the Sites new PW box to add a PW, the suggested box pops up,
which is , I guess , the OTP (which i have never understood ) which is probably fine, but . . .
I want to paste in a particular PW I have already generated in 1PW and copied to the clipboard.
When I paste to the websites new PW box I get ONLY the suggested PW; not the one I generated and I want.
It does not seem to matter that I have already changed the PW on the app and saved it

It does not seem to matter if I try to make the change with copy/paste from the 1PW app or by pulling down the 1PW app from the tool bar at the top of the screen.

Rog

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lasllcap!

If you are on a change password form, 1Password will always suggest a new password for you. If you have already generated a password yourself, can you not just paste it in the filed, despite the suggestion?

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member

Correct. That is what prompted the the original question (above). I think, however , I have found my problem.
    It comes down to what I had to tell the guys at my old job in the Navy - RTFM. anyway, below is the problem I had ....
    If I generate a password in the website file within 1PW , then copy to clipboard, then go to website change PW page (already open ) and attempt to paste into the new PW SLOT, the suggested PW is pasted instead, I do not know where the suggested PW comes from.

After RTFM , I now have a bit of an understanding of the procedure I need to follow.
    and that is, to scroll down to the "generated PW' after having generated a new one in the 1PW mini drodown from the toolbar.

So it looks like i am good now; Just a different way of getting it done.

Thanks, R

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @lasllcap! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.