Running 1Password on GrapheneOS (Android 11)

16dd12298
16dd12298
Community Member

I'm running GrapheneOS (Android 11) on a Pixel 4a device. I've installed the 1Password app (via the Aurora store / Play official APK) and all seems ok until loading the app for the first time. The app simply freezes with a white screen (no interaction possible).

Any ideas on how to debug this and get it working?

1Password Version: 7.7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11 / GrapheneOS

Comments

• 16dd12298
    16dd12298
    Community Member

To confirm, this appears to be an issue across all devices running the latest version of GrapheneOS. The app installs from Google Play (with a few warnings), then fails to load when opened. White screen hangs and no further action can be taken.

Considering i've had several paid accounts for 4+ years (using mac desktop and ios, then moving to linux desktop and grapheneos), i'm seriously looking around at my options considering your company sells itself on privacy (https://1password.com/jobs/ -> "Uniquely secure. Private by design").

Feeling pretty deflated right now

• ag_timothy
    edited April 2022

Hello 16dd12298 thanks for reaching out to us!

Thank you for your continued use of 1Password and I'm sorry to hear you're feeling deflated. As you may have read else where, 1Password is developed on Android devices and requires Google Play services. *see below

That being said, I'd like to ask if there may be anything else at play that could be causing 1Password to load directly into a white screen. Do you have any developer options enabled on your device?

• 16dd12298
    16dd12298
    Community Member

@ag_timothy i've tried this on a vanilla install of GrapheneOS - developer options are disabled and bootloader is locked. I have seen the same behaviour in a small number of apps (revolut is one that comes to mind) that have a heavy Google Play reliance on load.

i also just received my 'we'll bill you in 7 days' email (for my annual subscription), so i'm actively looking into Dashlane (which works perfectly on GrapheneOS) as a legitimate solution. As i've said before via messages to support, i see no reason for a privacy app to rely on any google play services.

• 16dd12298
    16dd12298
    Community Member

@ag_timothy fyi, I'm running GrapheneOS on pixel 4 and pixel 4a devices. if you were wanting to simulate, get one of these then follow these install commands: https://inteltechniques.com/EP/grapheneos.txt (you'll need to switch on developer mode first and enable OEM unlocking to proceed. As i've offered previously (via support), i'm happy to provide support to help out. I rely on 1password and need it to work.

• @16dd12298 thanks for the offer to help us figure out why you're unable to run 1Password on GrapheneOS. While we do rely on Google Play Services for some features, the intent is not to depend on those services for basic functionality, but rather use them to provide enhancements where it makes sense. One such example would be in-app subscriptions through Google Play.

With that in mind, we certainly don't intend for a lack of Google Play Services to prevent running 1Password. It would help if we could get any logs relating to the issue that you're experiencing. If you're able to access app file directories, could you send us the files called LAST_DR_APP_LOG and LAST_DR_SYNC_LOG from com.agilebits.onepassword.

Also, if you wait for a bit when 1Password is showing the white screen, do you get an application not responding error popping up?

• p28340
    p28340
    Community Member

@mverde do you have a link to how to get those log files? I get the message that it needs play services after I enter my credentials, then it hangs on "setting up your account", which does not make sense since it will not work without play services. More than happy to provide logs if that would help pinpoint the dependency and possibly move off of it to support GrapheneOS.

• @p28340 I believe that getting access to those files would require root access. What they might tell us is what stage of loading or signing in the app gets to, which would help us in narrowing down where we're getting stuck.

What you're describing sounds like it might be different from what @16dd12298 is experiencing, so I'd like to clarify with both of you what is happening on each of your devices. Could you describe what you're able to do in the app once you launch it and when exactly the app gets stuck?

For example, if you are able to tap on "1Password.com" on the welcome screen, enter your account credentials, tap the "Sign In" button, and then the app gets stuck, I would want to follow up and find out if you have security keys enabled on your 1Password.com account.

• p28340
    p28340
    Community Member

Sorry for the late post. I solved the issue for me. It was having a security key registered for mfa. FIDO security keys are not supported in GrapheneOS. I removed the security key from my account and was able to use OTP. Appears there needs to be better detection of Fido support. Just happy I got it working.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @p28340!

• mightyuser
    mightyuser
    Community Member

GrapheneOS is capable of FIDO2.
    1Password runs fine on GrapheneOS 12 with Play Services installed.
    However there is a AOSP 12 bug in the browser regarding FIDO2 and Play Services.
    Waits to be fixed in 2022.

I created a separate user account for the Play Services.
    After the first login into 1Password, the browser shows up for FIDO2 authentication.
    Instead using my yubikey I used TOTP.

• Thanks for sharing, @mightyuser!

• queuedoutselldisturb
    queuedoutselldisturb
    Community Member

With the latest version (March 6th, 2022) of GrapheneOS and 1Password (7.9.2) from the Aurora Store, I cannot log in to my account if I have a security key as another 2FA method. 1Password will display a misleading error saying that Google Play is required. After removing all security keys from my account, I could enter my TOTP code and successfully sign in.

To avoid confusion that will surely lead other users of GrapheneOS down a rabbit hole (and hopefully to this thread), I hope you can make the error message more descriptive.

• Hi @queuedoutselldisturb. Thanks for sharing your feedback. We have an issue opened internally regarding this error for our development team to review. I'll share your feedback with them as well. ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#1229

• ugb
    ugb
    Community Member

The latest 1Password version working for me on a Google Pixel 6 Pro with GrapheneOS 12 is 1Password v7.7.7. Neither 7.8.x nor 7.9.x is working. I am using 2FA with an OTP (Google Authenticator). Any ideas?

The issue I face is: After I log in with 2FA I see the successfull login to 1Password and then it disapears.

If you could me point to the rigth direction or let me know how to debug it that would be great.

• Hello @ugb thanks for your question.

You can try disabling 2FA for your account on the 1Password website then signing in to 1Password for Android. After signing in to 1Password for Android you can try re-enabling 2FA and authenticating.

• ugb
    ugb
    Community Member

Hi @ag_timothy, disabling 2FA temporarily did the job. Thank you so far.

Just for the entusiasts, thats exactly what I did:

First I went to apkpure.com and went back to the first version in version history that worked (with 2FA) because i did not know better. This was in my case v7.7.7. After @ag_timothy gave me that 2FA hint, I disabled 2FA on my Family account via web interface, Installed v7.9.2 via anonymous Aurora Store Profile. This actually updated the already installed and working v7.7.7 to v7.9.2. v7.9.2 did work without any issues after that update. After the update to v7.9.2 I turned on 2FA in my Family account via web interface. v7.9.2 on GrapheneOS on my Pixel 6 Pro was asking me then for my second Factor (the OTP), I typed it in and it just worked. So I am happy.

Thanks a lot.

• Hello @ugb I'm glad I could help get the ball rolling for you!

This discussion has been closed.