1p8 Not honoring lock preferences

Options

I have 1pasword set to never lock:

Yet, every time I close/reopen the app, it's locked. The net effect is every time I open a browser, it opens the app, and then I have to log in. Does the app need to stay running? If so, why was this changed from 1p7?

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• Hello! I'm sorry that you're running into issues keeping 1Password unlocked. This can be especially time consuming when you have a long secure password!

Yes, the app needs to stay running to stay unlocked. This is for security to ensure that secrets are purged from memory and data cannot be recovered from disk. The good news is there's an option to keep 1Password open in the menu bar. This will allow 1Password to stay unlocked while keeping your desktop uncluttered.

The option is available in 1Password > Preferences > General > Keep 1Password in the menu bar. If this option is not working for you, please let us know!

Cheers.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

That's great and all, but I'd rather not have yet another icon in my menu bar. How about - just like you have in 1p7 - you keep the helper app open in the background without any clutter?

• Thanks, @steve28. There is some brainstorming ongoing as to what it should mean for 1Password to be "quit." There are differing opinions on this, and so we're trying to find the best balance.

Ben

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben - seems like something was fixed that wasn't broken in the first place. Also, nowhere in the 1p8 app does it tell you you need to have the menubar enabled to be able to stay logged in to your browser extensions.

And by the way, whatever lock-tracking system you now have seems to also be very inconsistent. Soemtimes the icons (browser or menubar) show locked, but they aren't, sometimes they show unlocked, but then I get asked for my master password. No pattern that I can see. End result - I'm annoyed by 1p8 because it's in the way.

All I want is: If I'm logged in to my computer, I want 1p fill to "just work" in every browser and be able to summon the Quick Access menu with a hotkey from anywhere. Sure, If I reboot or maybe if it's been a month since I authenticated ask me again, but otherwise don't. If someone can log in to my computer, they already have everything. Make all of the other options you want, but allow this. A.k.a., what you already had.

• We are indeed taking this rewrite and associated Early Access period to challenge a lot of the assumptions that were made in previous 1Password apps. We're not intentionally introducing pain points, but we do have a somewhat unique opportunity here to evaluate how folks expect things to work. We don't collect the kinds of metrics many other apps do — in order to preserve user privacy.

I'm sure we're not going to be able to make everyone 100% happy, as in many cases the feedback we receive contains diametrically opposed opinions, but I'm confident that through the Early Access process we'll be able to improve the app and end up with a better result because of it. Thank you again for the continued feedback and participation.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.