WLAN & 1Password 7.7.7

golucid
golucid
Community Member

Hi. I recently upgraded both my iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPad 12.9 Pro to 1Password 7.7.7. After the update, my device stopped seeing the WLAN on running from my 2016 MacBook Pro. Interestingly enough, WLAN still works great with my two iPhones running the prior version of 1Password - so I will avoid updating to version 7.7.7 for those devices.

Unfortunately, I can not roll back to the prior version of 1Password for IOS.

Any advice?

*I am running macOS Sierra [I will not update the OS because of the legacy software I use for work.] I am using 1Password 7.6 for macOS too. Upgrading the software breaks it from working as well.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7.7
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: 10.12.6
Referrer: forum-search:WLAN & 1Password 7.7.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @golucid!

Can you try these troubleshooting steps on this device and see if they help?

If you're having trouble using the WLAN server

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

Hi there thanks for the troubleshooting text. I had already done all of the steps already. As I mentioned, the problem only occurred after upgrading the iOS app to 7.7.7.

Does your face is not upgrade to version 7.7.7 still work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@golucid:

The release notes for 1Password for iOS version 7.7.7 don't mention any work done on the WLAN server, so it's possible that the reason might be a different one entirely.

Unfortunately we are unable to troubleshoot issues with the WLAN server beyond the scope of that article. My suspicion is that using macOS Sierra and an older 1Password for Mac app (the latest version is 7.8.7, while you are using 7.6) might have something to do with this.

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

@ag_ana

You said, "My suspicion is that using macOS Sierra and an older 1Password for Mac app (the latest version is 7.8.7, while you are using 7.6) might have something to do with this."

After going through each configuration setting, I discovered that the issue is nothing to do with using the older software at all - In fact, it is just fine.

I figured out the issue on my own, and maybe you might want to update the 'If you're having trouble using the WLAN server' troubleshooting steps to include the following:

If you are using IOS, make sure to Allow 1Password to Access Local Network.

You can do this by going IOS =>Settings=>scroll through the menu items until you get to the IOS APPS section] => tap 1Password =>Allow 1Password to Access => Local Network [Enable by tapping the slide button to the right until it shows green]

Voila. Problem solved and grateful having nothing to do with macOS Sierra or the current 1Password IOS edition 7.7.7.

Thank you for trying to help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

@golucid:

After going through each configuration setting, I discovered that the issue is nothing to do with using the older software at all - In fact, it is just fine.

Nice, thank you for the update!

I figured out the issue on my own, and maybe you might want to update the 'If you're having trouble using the WLAN server' troubleshooting steps to include the following:

Thank you for the suggestion! This tip is already there, in the first step of the documentation. Here is the quote for you:

1. Make sure you’ve set up the WLAN server correctly on each device.
      If you're using iOS 14 or later on your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app and tap 1Password. Make sure Local Network is turned on.

Since you mentioned that you had tried all the suggestions in the documentation page already, I assumed that you had seen that too :+1:

Glad to hear that everything is working now though! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

I obviously all important step. Thanks again for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

@golucid Just be aware that this WLAN server won’t be support on 1PW 8.

• @wavesound,

That is correct, 1Password 8 will not have support for WLAN server.

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

@rudy @wavesound

Thanks for the heads up! By chance, do either of you know the possible version 8 ETA?

I use a product called, iMazing and am hoping that by keeping one of the 7.x IOS Apps backed up so that I can use that file with the future new versions of both IOS and iPhones as well as my Android devices too - therefore, avoiding version 8.

Do either of you know if the reason to get rid of WLAN is to force users into the subscription model or is there going to be another way to sync between devices?

Thanks again.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

I’m pretty sure that 1Password intends to go subscription-only with their service since they are also removing DropBox and iCloud syncing options as well but I’m just a community member like you reading the same blogs and posts.

I’m not sure I’d be comfortable leaving all my crown jewels in EoL versions of 1Password. You may want to look at some of the KeePass mobile apps that support local synchronization with KeePass I’d you want to stay local-only. Keepassium and StrongBox come to mind.

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

HOLY SMOKES. Sadly, they are killing off both DropBox and iCloud syncing. This change suggests to me a subscription model. I will immediately check out the alternative software. I have been a 1Password user since the very beginning. Bummed, but I also understand that they need to extract move revenue out of its user base.

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Thanks so much. I should start to transition to an alternative now. Keepassium and StrongBoxlooks do offer a plethora of synch options - awesome. I do not mind the $50-lifetime use fee as long as I do not have to subscribe. So far, the the StrongBox APP looks like a winner. I love 1Password and sad to have to go to another competitor, but that is business, and I am sure they expect a handful of folks to leave; otherwise, they would not take away all the freedom options.

• @golucid

The future of 1Password is indeed memberships. 1Password 8 only works with a 1Password membership. Our founder Dave wrote a great post about why we're changing our support for standalone licenses here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

I will mention: 1Password 8 will be a separate download so you won't be forced to upgrade from 1Password 7 on your iPhone or iPad. You can use 1Password 7 and WLAN sync for as long as it works on your devices. We're not removing WLAN sync from 1Password 7.

At the moment we're offering generous discounts for a 1Password membership if you're a longtime user of the licensed version of 1Password. If you're interested then send us an email at support@1password.com :)

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@Dave_1P

Hi and thank you for your note and the link to your founders' essay. I completely appreciate your move to go to a subscription model. I, on the other hand, will not be following 1Password into this model. I suppose, I am too old school :) I only wish all of you the very best and such great success. Thank you for the many years of an amazing product. Truly, amazing. Until, it simply fails, will continue to use the legacy software.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @golucid! And thank you for the many years together :) In case you change your mind in the future, we would love to have you back of course :+1:

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

@wavesound

I am ever more thankful for your heads up about v.8 - perhaps 7.8 THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

I am pleased I have years of 1Password MacOS version backups and years of 1Password IOS backups that I can rollback. I learned to keep backups, in particular to IOS, because sometimes the changes are not agreeable. It's nice to return to functionality when it's without notice taken away! I hope you have lots of backups too.

I did not update to IOS 15 not only because of privacy concerns but just in case 1Password broke. I have all my old iPhones and can always rollback. I hope many folks here have their backups, too, so that they can continue to enjoy the most extraordinary features of 1Password without the subscription model if this is something you do not want.

Maybe, if the Agilebites investors agreed, a renewal will be offered, even at a high price, allowing those of us who do not subscribe to the cloud narrative to continue our relationship with Agilebites.

This discussion has been closed.