Changing master password

Hillds
Hillds
Community Member

I attempted to change my master password. The new password is stored in my vault but is invalid when I use it to log in. My old master password works for login, but I get a message that says my credentials are not recognized. The message includes my key information and has a space for the master password. When I enter either the old or new password, I get an "Invalid" message. Clicking a "Not Now" box clears the message box. What do I need to do to eliminate the message box?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:change master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hillds!

I attempted to change my master password. The new password is stored in my vault but is invalid when I use it to log in.

Is this happening in the 1Password for Mac app only? In other words, are you able to login using your new password on the 1Password.com website?

• Hillds
    Hillds
    Community Member

I am unable to log into the 1password.com website with either the old or new password.I only use 1Password on my Mac. I had it installed on my PC but had to wipe the hard drive due to having been hacked. I have not re-installed on the PC. The password change was attempted on the Mac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hillds:

I am unable to log into the 1password.com website with either the old or new password

So it's possible that you are using a standalone vault in your 1Password for Mac app. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

Since you are not able to login to 1Password.com with either password, I think you tried to change the password for your Primary vault, which is separate. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a look at your 1Password configuration.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Hillds
    Hillds
    Community Member

I have downloaded the zip file and run the diagnostics. However, when I try to attach the report to an email to support+forum@agilebits.com I get a message indicating the attachment does not fully load due to security reasons.
    Please advise how to send report.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hillds:

What email client are you using?

• Hillds
    Hillds
    Community Member

gmail

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hillds:

I don't know of an official Gmail client for Mac, so I assume you are trying to send it via the Gmail Web app in a browser, right?

Can you try sending it via Mail.app on your Mac directly? Google is blocking your attachment for some reason, I wonder if sending it via an actual email client on your machine would allow you to send it without problems.

• Hillds
    Hillds
    Community Member

I finally found the report and just sent it. Thanks for your patience.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hillds:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: I see that my colleague Tommy has been helping you over there already, so I will let you continue the conversation via email :)

ref: CMD-25736-568

This discussion has been closed.