Best setup for couple who only want two vaults, accessible by each?

tomgenoni
tomgenoni
Community Member
edited September 2021 in Families

My wife and I have a Family Plan and we each had the following vault setup:

• Personal (only accessible to each user)
  • Shared (accessible by each of us)

This worked but we found it annoying to have to remember to move (and not copy) things into the Shared vault and difficult to remove old Shared items since ownership was fuzzy. And because neither of us cares if the other can see each other's items I moved to the following for both of us:

• Personal (empty and unused) <-- I really want to delete this but can't
  • Tom (all my things, "view" permissions for Jennifer)
  • Jennifer (all her things, "view" permissions for Tom)

This way we'd each view/add/edit in our own vaults and only occasionally look into the other's for an item.

My questions:

1. Is there a better way to set up our account given our use case?
  2. Why can I not delete my Personal vault and why isn't it just another vault with solo permissions?
  3. Any chance we'll be able to delete it in the future?

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomgenoni!

Is there a better way to set up our account given our use case?

I think this is a good way to do this. I would personally use a single Shared vault in the same scenario, but you tried that already and did not like it, so the two vault option is probably the best choice for you.

Why can I not delete my Personal vault and why isn't it just another vault with solo permissions?

My understanding is that the Personal vault is special because it is used in unlocking the 1Password account (the Master Password is connected to it), and as such it cannot be deleted.

Any chance we'll be able to delete it in the future?

Because of the role it plays in unlocking your data, I don't think this will happen.

This discussion has been closed.