Edit Tags of All Items

Have had 1PW for long time - company now adopting it and plan to use Tags
I would therefore like to add a prefix infront of all the tags in my Family Vaults
Best i can see is
- Export All
- Edit in Excel
- Delete All - to avoid duplicates
- Import all

Any other options i have missed?

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Win 11 preview

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bones!

You can also edit the tags directly inside the 1Password if you prefer, but otherwise your method of exporting and importing can certainly also be an option :+1:

• Bones
    Bones
    Community Member

Thanks ana - i tried the 1PW App csv export and Web import with an edit in excel in the middle - Importer was alllll upset.
    Did get MrC's 1Pif -> CVS, edit, -> 1pif convertor to work - but doing that at 1 category at a time would make about 5-10 processes for each of the vaults.

Got about 100 Tags - over 5 vaults - the in app editor does work just felt tedious for the 100 or so

anyway thianks for the help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bones:

Importer was alllll upset.

Did you get an error message when you tried to import data?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@bones, I’d be happy to help streamline the process for you, and thereby for others as well.

Interested?

• Bones
    Bones
    Community Member

Ana - sorry for the delay - i had deleted the data and had to find time to redo....
    I now cannot reproduce the error :) - so thats good hey
    however the result is not as expected
    i exported 1 item - (Old and of no value)
    this produces a CSV with 2 rows - header and details of the item
    I CAN choose to ignore the first row
    But i also have to manually name all the colums - using the text from the first row is thus needed
    as a simple export and import - it felt very long way from easy. I will have to hand dress every colum name and every row
    However - if i was importing from scratch - sure the process would save heaps of time over typing - well not time - but more reproducable ...

The item on the right is what i had - with two edits wanted - ie the Tags - the item in the left is what was ended up with

• Bones
    Bones
    Community Member

@MRC - happy to work through refining - let me know what you would like and how best to chat?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Bones,

Since you have existing data that you may not wish to lose during an export > conversion > import process, have you considered directly editing the 1PIF export file to make your tag modifications? There are tools that can help with this, but a simple text editor with good find/replace capabilities can make the work pretty simple.

Tags in the 1PIF look like this:

So long as you understand that JSON structure, and that tags are listed in an array, and require the special quoting you see, simple global textual replacement across the PIF file might be possible for you.

Would that work for you?

This discussion has been closed.