Missing localization; bad handling of broken links

Options

Please see this:

Arrow 1:
The text "Verwandte Objekte" isn't properly localized. I set the 1Password app to English to get rid of the English/German mixture, so this should become an English text. But this text stays in German.

Arrow 2:
There is no information about which item has gone missing. I get no help whether I can remove this link, because the linked item was removed by me, or whether I should recreate the link to a new item, because I may have removed and recreated the linked item and forgot about updating the link. It would be nice if the app could "cache" the title of any linked item, so it can show the cached title in case of a broken link.

This brings me to linked items in general: linking items is a kludge. It's not well integrated. It doesn't work across vaults. It's cumbersome to keep linked items up to date, especially if you recreate items instead of just updating them. Recreating items is sometimes required, because it's not possible to change the category (template) of items.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@ Agilebits: did you see this report, or did the forum software ate it? I'm just asking, because all other topics in this section get 1 or 2 or 3 answers from you to even somewhat trivial posts, while this got zero so far.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3, I can’t talk for Agilebits, but during the β process, the localization is typically a work in progress that (by nature) lags behind other modifications a bit. I suspect the UI is still changing and they might be waiting for the whole thing to settle down a bit before sending the new strings to the localizers.
    I localize in French for instance and even though I’ve received a few new strings, it hasn’t been a whole lot yet (which scares me a bit, because it implies I might have a huge load duped on me at the last minute with very little time to take care of it).

• roustem
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thank you for reporting these issues, @Tertius3!

The text "Verwandte Objekte" isn't properly localized. I set the 1Password app to English to get rid of the English/German mixture, so this should become an English text. But this text stays in German.

When the item in 1Password is created, some of the elements, like section titles are instantiated with the current localization. They are copied into the item and become part of it. It means that changing the app localization will have to effect on the item. We made this change back in 1Password 4. Before 1Password 4, the structure of the item was fixed and localizable. When we added custom sections and fields, every item started to define its own structure including the labels.

There could be some magic that if added would localize the labels that weren't modified after the item was created but we didn't get there yet.

This brings me to linked items in general: linking items is a kludge. It's not well integrated. It doesn't work across vaults. It's cumbersome to keep linked items up to date, especially if you recreate items instead of just updating them.

I agree. Item linking is certainly not working well today and can easily be broken. We have a few ideas how to make it work better. At the very least, 1Password should be able to locate items that were moved between vaults.

We also added file attachments in 1Password 8 that could replace item linking in some cases.

This discussion has been closed.