Electron version question

Options
Yoann
Yoann
Community Member

Hi,

I hesitate to renew my 1P subscription because UI for macOS will be base on Electron framework for 1Password 8 version.

I bought all version since 1Password 3.

Could you explain why you take this way ?

1Password will be a web page interface experience, it’s the futur for 1Password ?

Best regards.

Comments

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

1Password will be a web page interface experience and need a lot of ressources versus native app ?
    It’s the problem about Electron framework ?

Thank you if you can explain me.

Best regards.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi @Yoann

The 1Password for Mac app will not be replaced with a web page. Electron is the framework we're using to build the top layer (user interface) for the 1Password 8 app. Electron is a way of using web technologies to build desktop apps. You can see what 1Password 8 for Mac will look like in e.g. this screenshot:

The bulk of our app will not be built using web technologies though. All of the heavy lifting is done using a Rust-based core. Part of the motivation for building the app using this approach (Rust+Electron) is that in the past we've had separate development teams each working on a 1Password app for each of the various platforms. Now we'll be able to build a single desktop app that will run on Mac, Windows, and Linux. It'll still have Mac-specific features folks have come to expect such as Touch ID and Apple Watch unlock, integration with Safari, and others. Additional details about the lead-up to this decision can be found in this blog post:

1Password 8: The Story So Far

1Password 8 will probably use more system resources than 1Password 7, just as 1Password 7 used more system resources than 1Password 6. That said we'll be focusing on making 1Password 8 perform well on all sorts of Macs. If you give it a try and have any trouble with sluggishness or anything to that effect please do report that to us.

Does that help explain the situation?

Ben

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your explaination it’s clear.
    I will try 1Password 8 on my Macbook Air M1.
    I have only 8Go RAM and I hope that’s enough.

Have a nice day.

Yoann

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @Yoann! Let us know what your thoughts are when you decide to give 1Password 8 a try :)

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    Options

Hello ag_ana,

Thank you, I'll wait a little before try 1P8, but I think I préfère download the final release than bêta version.

Do you have an idea about a approximate date for the final release ?

Regards,
    Yoann

• DitchComfort
    DitchComfort
    Community Member
    Options

@Yoann, I was also pretty skeptical first, but after using 1P8 for a short week, I really come to love this new approach. I have no issues at all regarding memory or CPU (I’m running a 2019 iMac with 128GB RAM), and the app feels a hell of a lot more ’modern’ in my opinion. Give it a go… and some time, and I think you will come to love 1P8. + it’s still in early access. I have totally faith in the development going forward.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yoann:

Understood, I certainly understand :+1: The final release will be next year :+1:

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    Options

@DitchComfort Thank you !
    Thank you for your very interesting feedback. I have an 8GB (ram) macbook air M1, it's less but I think it will work anyway.

@ag_ana what does "early access" mean? Is it an Apha version, beta? Or something else?

Regards,
    Yoann

• @Yoann

I've been using an M1 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM. I'm a heavy multi-tasker, often having multiple Brave windows (each with multiple tabs), Slack, Apple Music, Things (to-do list), Messages, Calendar, and others all open alongside 1Password 8. I haven't had any performance issues so far. 🤞🏻🙏🏻

Alpha and beta are somewhat nebulous terms, as is Early Access, but I'd say it is akin to those. Perhaps somewhere between alpha and beta?

Ben

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@Ben
    Good news about performance on your Mac M1, thank you.
    If I install 1Password 8 instead of 1Password 7, I’ll can use early access version untile the final release ?

Regards,
    Yoann

• @Yoann

You're welcome! And yes, you could. I've been using it full-time for months. That said, it isn't yet feature complete and there are bound to be some rough edges remaining. If you're interested in helping us track down those rough edges, I'd encourage you to give 1Password 8 a try. If you'd prefer a more smooth and stable experience and aren't interested in testing pre-release software then it may be best to hang on to v7 for now.

Ben

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben very well, thank you very much for your arguments and answers. I will continue my subscription, I like very 1Password and iCloud Keychain it’s not enough for me. I may install 1Password 8 it makes me want to try.

If I try 1Password 8 and if I would like to return on 1P7 it will be possible ?

Yoann

• For sure. If that situation arrises and you need a hand doing so please let us know. :+1:

Ben

• Yoann
    Yoann
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much @Ben @ag_ana @DitchComfort I appreciate a lot your help.

• You're very welcome. :) Please feel free to start a new thread if there is anything further we can help with.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.