Chrome autofill not working

pbhogan
pbhogan
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

As of the last 1Password update or so, when I click the 1Password extension button in Chrome, it dutifully comes up, selects the right site login but when I double click the entry or click autofill it opens a new tab instead of filling in my credentials on the current page like it has for years.

Is this a known bug, or some new default I need to change? I combed through the settings and the only thing I found was the setting for whether autofill should fill in a new tab or new windows, etc. I just want it to fill in the current page.

1Password 7
Version 7.8.5 (70805000)
Mac App Store

Google Chrome
Version 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (x86_64)

1Password Extension
Version 4.7.5.90

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pbhogan
    pbhogan
    Community Member

For what it's worth, I tried "Quit 1Password Completely" and restarted both 1Password and the browser.

• Hello @pbhogan,

This issue usually occurs when you have two 1Password extensions in Chrome when you use the classic extension to autofill your websites. Can you open your browser > copy and paste this text to the browser's address bar: chrome://extensions/ > Press enter / Return. You should see either "1Password - Password Manager" or "1Password extension (Desktop app required)". For the best experience, I recommend you keep "1Password - Password Manager" and remove "1Password extension (Desktop app required)" since we no longer release new updates for it.

• pbhogan
    pbhogan
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Thanks, that solved that problem (more or less) but now the new extension seems to be having trouble integrating with the 1Password app. When I try to unlock it stalls after entering my password while saying unlocking and then won't do anything anymore. I did the whole quit completely dance restarting everything, and it keeps doing it.

It does actually unlock the 1Password app, but the extension doesn't seem to realize it.

• pbhogan
    pbhogan
    Community Member

I uninstalled the extension and reinstalled it and that seems to have fixed the connection.

Boy, the extension has gotten SO unreliable over the last few months and years. Every time something updates it breaks and you have to restart one or both or reinstall something. For crying out loud... I'd gladly opt into some less secure mode to stop it doing that all the time. This much friction just makes people want to stop using a password manager entirely.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @pbhogan ,
    Thanks for the update and additional information.

We hope your experience would be much more stable now with the new extension as you got it running properly. It does have some improvements on that front and should keep working even if the connection to the desktop app is severed (you will have to unlock with your Master Password though), so hopefully you'll find these new improvements helpful.

If you encounter any other issues, we'll be happy to help!

• anilkapur
    anilkapur
    Community Member

I have the same issue and only have one extension in chrome. I have tried the same with rebooting. I noticed that this occurs when

1. I can't remember my password / login combo and then do not allow "save in 1Password"
    2. log back out of the website (now that I remember the combo)
    3. now attempt to save into 1password via the browser.

that it will fill in the login automatically but not the password. In the past, i worked around it by creating a new pass/login combo within the app directly. That didn't work this time. Sigh.

Chrome
    Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (x86_64)

MacBook Pro 2016
    Big Sur 11.5.2

• @anikapur

Can you confirm which version of 1Password you're using in Chrome? Also, is this happening on one site in particular - or is this behaviour consistent across all the sites you visit?

• quincreatives
    quincreatives
    Community Member

Hi it's the same for me. Mine is:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.8.7 (70807004)
    1Password Store

Chrome:
    Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (x86_64)

It opens a new tab everytime when I try to autofill. The problem is for every site.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@quincreatives:

What version of the 1Password browser extension are you using in Chrome?

• quincreatives
    quincreatives
    Community Member

It’s 2.0.5

• @quincreatives

If you go to chrome://extensions, do you have more than one version of 1Password installed? When you click Autofill is it from a grey icon in your browser toolbar or the blue 1Password icon?

• msiger
    msiger
    Community Member

The same is happening for me:
    mac 11.5.2
    chrome 93.0.4577.63
    freshly reinstalled 1Password app and extension: Version 7.8.7 (70807004) - reinstalled because of the issue

1. The desktop app never auto-fills but opens a new tab and still leaves all fields blank.
    2. The window randomly works with different shortcuts: either cmd+\ or option+cmd+\
    3. Chrome extension sometimes gives empty suggestion box at password field or not, but always empty.
    4. In the last few months I constantly had to reinstall the chrome extension because the desktop app did not find it, now it is completely broken.

When I switched from Lastpass a few months ago I totally loved the service but now it is a complete mess, behaves differently across computers, in general, it wastes a lot of time.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @msiger ,

Sounds like multiple different issues here. We'll need to take a look at your setup in order to clear everything out and get things working properly.
    Can you please email us all this info, alongside a diagnostics report to support+x@1password.com so we can troubleshoot this with you?

Thank you.

• msiger
    msiger
    Community Member

@ag_yaron submitted

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@msiger:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• brachela
    brachela
    Community Member

Hey! I'm having the same issue but without the double extension. The only extension I have is: 1Password extension (desktop app required)

The 1password icon in my top toolbar is gray. Once I have the 1password window open and the site I'm trying to log into open, the "Autofill" button is blue. When I click it, it opens a new window.

1Password 7
    Version 7.8.7 (70807004)

Google Chrome
    Version 93.0.4577.63 (Official Build) (arm64)

macOS Big Sur
    Version 11.5.1

Thank you for your help!

• @brachela

Do you have more than one version of 1Password installed in your browser? You can verify under chrome://extensions. If you have multiple profiles, it would be useful to confirm there as well.

• brachela
    brachela
    Community Member

No, just the one.

• @brachela

It might be useful for us to get a deeper look at what's going on on your Mac. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from 1Password on your Mac and send it to us at support+x@1password.com with a link to our current discussion. One of our team members will have a look and let you know what we find.

• commenting123
    commenting123
    Community Member

Having the same problem. The only extension I have is: 1Password extension (desktop app required). Any solutions?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@commenting123:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? You might want to quit and relaunch your browser once too, in case it's in the middle of an update.

• imprecisegive
    imprecisegive
    Community Member

This is happening to me recently as well.

1Password 7
    Version 7.9 (70900001)
    1Password Store

1Password extension (desktop app required)

Chrome Version 94.0.4606.81

I am using multiple Chrome profiles (one for personal and one for work), in case that makes a difference.

• @imprecisegive

Have you tried Ana's suggestions here to fully quit and relaunch both 1Password and your browser?

If after those steps the issue is still not resolved, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac. Send it to us at support+x@1password.com. One of our team members will have a look and let you know what we find.

• imprecisegive
    imprecisegive
    Community Member

Ah, that did indeed fix it. I thought I tried it already, but evidently not. Thanks

• Great to hear @imprecisegive! :+1:

• imprecisegive
    imprecisegive
    Community Member

Actually the behavior is recurring again. It seems I need to go through this process (Quit Completely, plus exit and restart Chrome) on every system reboot, to keep the problem from coming back.

• Hi @imprecisegive,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue recurs.

As you mentioned before, you're using the 1Password classic extension (desktop app required). I'd assume that the Chrome process starts before the 1Password desktop app whenever you start up your computer.

In that case, the classic extension won't be able to connect with the desktop app properly. That's why you will need to completely close the browser and the 1Password desktop app to re-establish the connection.

I hope my explanation above helps with the situation. So, next time when you start your computer, open and unlock the 1Password desktop app first, and then open Chrome to see if it makes a difference.

• strajk
    strajk
    Community Member

Hey, also have trouble with Chrome extension

Extension version: 2.1.4
    Chrome version: 95.0.4638.69

Getting this error

Unexpected vault attr type. Expected defaultAcl to be number, received undefined. Setting defaultAcl to undefined.

I've installed the BETA version of Chrome extension (2.1.8) and it fixed the issue :yay:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @strajk ,
    The issue you described is not related to the one in the discussion here, but I'm happy to hear the beta resolved your issue :)

This discussion has been closed.