1Password Desktop App (Cross-browser) & Clipboard Manager History

marceldarvas
marceldarvas
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

While I was happy you added the functionality of unlocking my vault with my Apple Watch, I never really liked this new era of 1Password X implementation. Here are 2 major issues that have been annoying.

1. Cross-browser unlocking
Between Chrome profiles or browsers I must unlock my 1P in each one, which used to work better when we only had the desktop app to authenticate and the browser extensions just took from the native app.

2. Clipboard Manager Security
Many Mac users have extensive clipboard managers with their clipping history saved for a long time. For example, I use Paste (via SetApp) which has a handy feature to 'whitelist' sensitive apps to NOT save their history from. I always had 1Password 7 on there and I liked how it worked. However with the browser extension, I find myself hitting the copy button when going through saved logins (multiple accounts or unlinked URLs) and when I copy those, those stick in the Clipboard Manager forever.

This is not secure, and can make things confusing, with #1 being annoying. I think these should be one of your top priorities as your new implementations are not exactly taking the app in the right direction...

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.8.7 (70807003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: 11.2.1

Comments

• Jack.P_1P
    edited September 2021

Hi @marceldarvas:

For your first point, using the setting "Integrate with 1Password app" in the extension settings will allow for the desktop app to unlock the browser extension.

As for the second, we've got some similar issues open for this. I'll be happy to bring it up with the team for review.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this :smile:

On a unrelated note: I noticed you listed your OS version as 11.2.1. We do highly recommend keeping your computer up to date for the latest security fixes and patches.

ref: dev/core/core#225

• marceldarvas
    marceldarvas
    Community Member

@jack.platten Thanks for your reply, yes indeed I haven't seen a notification yet for the software updates pending, will definitely apply them right now.

1. Thanks, I always had that enabled, but I either didn't restart my browser or Mac for a while, so I guess that's what caused some authentication issues, but I wasn't always alerted about that, I guess since password fills prompt me to unlock in the extension that doesn't carry over to the desktop app, so I should start with the desktop app?
    2. OK thanks! I believe that's a major problem.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@marceldarvas:

I guess since password fills prompt me to unlock in the extension that doesn't carry over to the desktop app, so I should start with the desktop app?

Unlocking the extension should also unlock the desktop app, if the integration is enabled in the settings, so there should be no need to unlock the desktop app first :+1:

This discussion has been closed.