I do not have a secret code

freckrosh
freckrosh
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for 8+ years and have recently changed computers (old MacBook Pro to a new one). I can log in to my 1Password account no problem, I also have it on my iPhone and they are synced. The issue is with the Chrome extension. When I try to activate it on the new computer 1Password is asking for a "secret code". When I try to get one, 1Password asks for my secret code to access my account. I just want 1PW extension on Chrome. I have it in Firefox, but not Chrome. Please help.

BTW - I've had 1PW for so long I got it before you started charging a monthly fee. I think that may be the issue but I certainly do not want to pay for something I've been getting for free for years.

1Password Version: version 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 11.5.2
Referrer: forum-search:I do not have a secret code

Comments

• @freckrosh

If you are not paying a monthly fee then you would not have a Secret Key. That is one part of our membership offering. It sounds like you will want to use the classic extension.

1Password 6 has been retired and hasn't received updates in over 2 years. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. I would suggest to looking at one of our membership offerings. I'd also recommend reaching out to our team at support+tradein@1password.com to discuss your situation and the best path forward.

Get the 1Password classic extension

• freckrosh
    freckrosh
    Community Member

Thank you for the classic extension. This was all I needed. I'll look into upgrading my version, but not sure I want to pay for what has always been free.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Tommy, you are welcome @freckrosh! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@freckrosh Of course, you originally paid for a 1PW licence, it wasn't free. Most programs charge for a major upgraded version, but AgileBits decided to make the upgrades from 1PW4 to 1PW5 and 1PW5 to 1PW6 free. That created an expectation that the upgrade to 1PW7 would also be free. But that expectation was wrong; even if one had a licence for 1PW6 there was a fee for 1PW7. Until recently one could buy a licence for 1PW7, but now subscriptions are the only option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Most programs charge for a major upgraded version, but AgileBits decided to make the upgrades from 1PW4 to 1PW5 and 1PW5 to 1PW6 free. That created an expectation that the upgrade to 1PW7 would also be free.

That is correct @danco :+1: 1Password has never been free, but we did provide several major free upgrades in the past.

This discussion has been closed.