1Password extension in Safari and Menu bar in Mac not working

Options

Hi all,

As the title says I cannot get 1Passwords in the browser or the in the menu bar to work. The extension is installed and turned on (this is a fresh install too). This is on Safari with absolutely no other extensions so it can't even be a compatibility issue with something else. Clicking either icon in the browser or the 1Password Mini icon in the menu bar does absolutely nothing even with the app opened and signed in. I have the extension helper running. I am running the latest 1 password, downloaded directly from the App Store. The extension is blue in the browser (I am running in dark mode if that makes a difference). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extension. Turned it on and off. I have even restarted my computer multiple times. Also the problem is evident on both my MacBook and iMac. Same exact same issue. Can't use it in the browser or in the menu bar.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 7.8.7
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @AnaRose ,

Sounds like 1Password in Safari is unable to communicate with the desktop app for some reason. Can you please try this:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly now.

In case it still doesn't respond to your clicks, please send us a diagnostics report to support+x@1password.com so we can investigate this issue better.
    Here's how to generate a diagnostics report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• AnaRose
    AnaRose
    Community Member
    Options

That seems to have done it! Just curious, should I always make sure 1Password is open before launching Safari? Just to check, I restarted my Mac and re-launching 1Password with Safari already open presented the same issues as before. Clicking did nothing. But I did what you suggested (quit and start the 1Password app first then open Safari) and it started working again. Will I have to do this every time? Is this intended behavior? That 1Password needs to be running when Safari is opened in order for the extension to communicate with the app?

• AnaRose
    AnaRose
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update: On my iMac. Both the browser extension and the menu bar 1Password Mini stop working as soon as I get logged out of 1Password. On my MacBook, after restarting both the browser and the app, when I get logged out I am able to click either item and I am given the option to log in from there. I only have to do the whole thing if I restart the computer. On the iMac, clicking does nothing. Same versions of 1Password and same version of Mac OS.

• @AnaRose

Ideally, you should be able to open and unlock from any of the three locations; 1Password for Mac, 1Password mini (in the macOS menu bar), or the Safari App Extension. If you're finding this is not the case, then we'll want to get a better look at what's causing the behaviour. A diagnostics report from the device exhibiting the behaviour would be helpful to pin down any underlying issues that may be present.

You can send your diagnostics report to us at support+X@1password.com with a link to this discussion. One of our team members will follow up and let you know what we find.

This discussion has been closed.