Accented/non-US English keys not accepted in keyboard shortcuts [investigating]

Gilles9
Gilles9
Community Member

On a French Canadian Keyboard, to use "command \" we need to use the upper case key ( command -uppercase-\ ) as the symbol "\" is an uppercase ( key below the esc key, which as "/" as the normal key, "\" as an uppercase key, and "|" as an option key )

and that short cut "command-uppercase-\" is used by Safari to "show Tab overview"

so it is unusable, and even if it was usable, using 3 keys for a shortcut is not very user friendly,

are you folks going to give us an option to use anything we want as a shortcut ?

( in Version 7 and prior, my shortcut key was "command-à" which was simple and easily usable )

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @Gilles9 it should be available today:

1Password 8 Preferences

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@roustem

are you saying that customizing the "Fill in Browser" is to be customizable today ? so I can use "command-à" as a shortcut

As from beta 8.2.2 beta 23 and Nightly beta 29 it is NOT customizable

Maybe we did not understand each other clearly

Thanks

• @Gilles9

Could you please post a screenshot of what you see in 1Password > Preferences > General while on the latest nightly?

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@Ben

This is what I see:

The problem is that if I type "command-à" in the "Fill in Browser" field it ends up showing "command-\"
    if I type another letter than "à" then it works

makes me think that 1Password does not recognize my keyboard ( French Canadian) keys correctly as it shows "\" when I type "à"
    ( it also shows " ' " when I type "è")
    so the preference field for "fill in browser" thinks or consider I have an English USA keyboard

• @Gilles9

Thanks! So, it is customizable, but cannot be customized to use à or è. Is that correct? Does it work with letters on your keyboard that do not have an accent?

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@Ben

Yes it does but not for any keys that are different from the English US and the French Canadian keyboard
    example: é,ç, " ^ " etc...

plainly the customization only works for an English US qwerty keyboard
    needs some localisation for 1Password V 8

• Gotcha! Thanks for letting us know @Gilles9. I've opened an issue for our development team to investigate.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9977

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@Ben

I would add that any key I use, just does not work at all

• @Gilles9 Does this mean that for example if you set the Fill in Browser shortcut to ⌘', Fill in Browser does not activate when you use that shortcut (assuming it is not already in use for something else)? Note that Fill in Browser currently only works on sites where you have exactly 1 Login item that matches. It doesn't currently do anything if there are 0 or more than 1 match.

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@Ben

Yes this is what I meant

using any "command- anykey" does not fill in on any site, that I have 1 match only

as if, my keyboard is not recognize by 1Password

note in version 7 or prior, of course 0 match did not work, but multiple match would give me the choice ( hope this will come as well in V8)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2021

Thank you for the additional information @Gilles9. Also, yes, we do have plans to support the case where multiple item matches exist.

Ben

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

I have a very similar problem with German keyboard layout. Traditionally the 1Password shortcut was CMD #. If I try to assign this with 1Password the # is immediately replaced by . It seems your shortcut editor doesn't respect the actual keyboard configuration. Another example. The German keyboard layout exchanges Z and Y compared to the US layout. Trying to assign CMD Z an a German keyboard becomes CMD Y in 1Password.

I've hit CMD Z or "Fill in Browser"

"Select Locale" in 1Password's Preferences is set to "Use system defaults" just in case it matters.

• Thanks @viswiz. We were able to reproduce this internally. Hopefully that means we'll be able to find a way to fix it soon. :)

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Would be great if this could be fixed. I'm also using a German keyboard and stumbled about this issue too. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

I will let the developers know, thank you for the feedback :+1:

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

any news about this problem ?

• Hi @Gilles9

I don't have any news to share; sorry. As mentioned above we have been able to reproduce the issue and have made the team aware of the situation.

Ben

• Bonobo
    Bonobo
    Community Member

Hey all, I see this is being cared for already, and now I don’t know what to do with the screenshot I edited so nicely to show the problem with a German (and probably other non USian) keyboard, so I’m dumping it here >_<

• Thanks for sharing @Bonobo. Hopefully this is something we'll be able to get fixed up in the near future.

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Hello,

has this been fixed ?

if not, will it be ?

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@Ben

are you going to release version 8 without this being fix ?

If so for how long will version 7 be updated ? before version 8 fixes this problem

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Seems they are going to release version 8 with some pretty big bugs still remaining. This here is one of them. The broken search another one. I‘m really loosing trust in Agilebits :(

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@Ben

I just tried your last version 8.5.0 (80500035)
    and this hasn't been fix

Will it be ?

• Hey @Gilles9 and @viswiz:

Apologies for the delayed response here. This is something we're actively working on, but I don't have more information to provide at this time. Thanks for all of your patience, and keep an eye out for future updates.

Jack

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

👍

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I suppose you cannot fix this

Now it tells me I cannot use "à" or "é" or "è" as a shortcut
    but the keyboard French Canadian CSA is still not recognized as if I try "command /" it will tell me I cannot use "ù" s as shortcut ( "ù" is left of the Z key on a French Canadian CSA keyboard, not at the top left below the "esc" key

So I suppose this will never be fix with Electron

• Mathieu_1P
    edited February 2022

I'm so sorry you are having issues with this Gilles. While implementing the latest change, I mistakenly applied the special character limitation too broadly. It's necessary for the time being on the lock shortcut as more work is needed before it can work reliably with special characters. I should not have applied it to the other three as those are already working even with special characters. I'll get that rectified soon but the fix will take a bit of time to propagate into beta and stable.

In the meantime, could I ask you to double check a few things for me? You mentioned that your ⌘/ key is recognized as ⌘ù, could you confirm that pressing the / in the search bar is printing that character correctly? And the same thing with pressing the ù key in the search bar? If you try to use ⌘ù as a shortcut, is the ù correctly reported? Are you using the built in keyboard or an external keyboard? If external, which one?

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

To your questions YES, / and ù show correctly
    it is a built-in keyboard MBA M1

• Hi @Gilles9:

Thanks for the additional information here. We're investigating and continuing to make improvements here, so hopefully soon we can have this smoothed out for you!

Jack

• tsauer
    tsauer
    Community Member

This is also broken again for me. It worked for a short while but since a while I can't use CMD+# on a German keyboard anymore. When I try to set it in the settings for "Fill in Browser" nothing happens. This is on a 2017 Macbook Pro with a Germany keyboard layout and the latest beta version (80600006) and I am pretty sure I got the same behaviour on my Windows machine yesterday (also latest beta) but I can't verify that right now.

This discussion has been closed.