Is "Last Date Used" accurate?

millifoo
millifoo
Community Member
edited July 2021 in Mac

Today I decided to sort my (couple of thousand) password items by "Last Date Used", and I'm seeing many entries that I've not intentionally used/touched popping to the top of the list. Many of which I haven't used in months or even years.

Is 1Password doing this on my behalf (e.g. hunting for insecure passwords?) --- or is this something nefarious, such as someone's gained access to my vault (*)?

(*) I really doubt they've gotten into my fault, for one thing I just now changed my password and kicked all other devices from access, and I have an Authenticator app for 2FA set up. Yet the Last Date Used keeps changing.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.7.BETA-0 (70807000)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 11.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@millifoo

-- edit

I can’t say that I’ve seen this myself, but other than the annoyance of the date modified data being misleading I don’t see any reason to suspect that there is cause for worry.

Any PC's or other non Apple devices in the mix? Out of curiosity do you see a vault called Primary on any of your devices?

• millifoo
    millifoo
    Community Member

Thanks for looking into it, Tommy.

No vault called "Primary".

I do normally have my iPhone and an Android tablet connected, but I de-activated both while looking into it, and items were still popping up to the top.

I've now turned off WatchTower to see if that might be what's doing it. Will report back later.

• Sounds good.

• andirosenberg
    andirosenberg
    Community Member

I also have the same problem on a new computer. It keeps listing the wrong items as last used. I haven't touched many of them in a long time. Meanwhile I don't have the same last used order on my iPhone, so it isn't a synched phenomena. @ag_tommy why do you suggest to @milifoo not to "see any reason to suspect that there is cause for worry"?
    I am worried, because if this is not a bug, wouldn't it be possible that my computer is hacked in some way, and someone is checking out my 1Password items?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@andirosenberg:

I think it's because the list that could cause the last updated time to be updated is quite long. Please see this post for a list of all the actions that cause the Last Used timestamp to be updated :+1:

• millifoo
    millifoo
    Community Member

I think in my case it was because I had turned off "Conceal passwords". That caused them to to be seen and would (I guess) "refresh" their last updated time. I can see some pros and cons on that being a feature vs bug.

Anyway, I clicked back on "Concealed passwords" being on, and things are now good.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is good to hear @millifoo, thank you for the update :+1:

• andirosenberg
    andirosenberg
    Community Member

@millifoo True! That works for me as well. The list that @ag_ana referred to didn't cover the reasons why my 1P items became sorted as last used.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Great to hear that it's working for you too @andirosenberg, thank you for the update as well!

This discussion has been closed.