deleting old installs of 1P

LopezStranded
LopezStranded
Community Member

making the leap to Big Sur from Mojave. I have prior installations of 1P going back to 2017. Can I delete them?

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.14.6

Comments

• @LopezStranded

If you have 1Password applications inside the Applications folder you can remove them. Please DO NOT use an app cleaner. They have been know to remove users data. We DO NOT want that to happen. We DO not recommend removing the 1Password support folders.

• LopezStranded
    LopezStranded
    Community Member

hey, thank you for replying, I was giving up on anybody from that site replying. Maybe it was too simple a question. Anyway, I have attached a screen shot of an example of what I'm talking about. This is a shot of the old 1Ps taken from the About this Mac>Software>Installations.

I have no idea where they reside, I think they must be hidden files, I have no idea of how to locate them. I have about a hundred Adobe files like this, I think one time I counted over 10,000 of this sort of cyber trash on my machine. Totally stupid, there must be way to get rid of them. I don't think Funter and other apps of that ilk are the way to go either, they seem like nuclear bombs and I only need a scalpel. Do you know where it is or what to do? This is all I have I don't know of any "application folders". It does not seem to be possible to drag and drop these items to the trash

"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LopezStranded:

It does not seem to be possible to drag and drop these items to the trash

What happens when you try to do that? Any app in the Applications folder can be moved to the Trash, so there is nothing in 1Password that should block that.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I've never tried to drag and rop an item to the trash. I always use command-delete. Because my working account is a standard one, not an admin one, if I try to delete something in the Applications folder I am asked to authenticate.

• Thanks for the tip, @danco!

Because my working account is a standard one, not an admin one

And good idea. :+1:

Ben

• LopezStranded
    LopezStranded
    Community Member

Good morning, as I said, these screen shots are not from the Applications folder. they are screen shots of About This Mac>Overview>System Report>Software>Installations. This screen shot is of 8 installations of 1Password just hanging around somewhere in my computer. You can probably see the same thing on your machines. There appears to be no access to the installs and it would be so great if I could just grab them by some means and drag them to the trash. You can read Ag-tommy's post. The screen shot I posted as an answer is the applications folder showing 3 applications called 1 Password, but they are not all the same. The top one is V7.8.7 application. That one I don't want to touch. The middle one is an App Store download dated 2/4/2020. The bottom one that says Troubleshooting dates from 2019 and I downloaded that at the request of someone from 1P to help her try to figure out why 1P was being so totally disfunctional. It's a system diagnostic tool of some kind. It may be valuable to keep. It sent back long reports to tech support, that's all I remember about that. And anyway, these three instances of 1P in the Application folder are not what I was focused on, I want to remove the old installs that you can see in my reply to ag-tommy. And the larger question (which he alluded to) is, do not use an "app cleaner" to remove files. As I told him I have 10,000 or more of these old files just hanging around taking up space. Even deleting Adobe for example according to their instruction leaves behind hundreds, if not thousands of these cyber scraps. Is there any way to delete them without harming the current "correct" instance of 1P? I realize this may be a larger question that applies to computers generally rather than to just 1Password, but it just seems so counter productive to have this digital detritus just building up and building up and no way to clean it out.

• @LopezStranded

Thank you for clarifying the situation. It appears to me that the entries in About This Mac>Overview>System Report>Software>Installations are simply a log of what was installed and when, when using a macOS Installer.app package. They are not necessarily an indicator of still-installed applications. To test this theory I downloaded and ran the 1Password 7 installer. A new entry was added to the list. I then removed 1Password 7. The entry is still in the list, despite the fact that 1Password 7 is no longer on my system.

I don't know if Apple makes it possible to delete these log entries — there doesn't appear to be an easy way to do so, which would indicate to me that they don't intend for them to be deleted. Either way I'm afraid we're likely out of scope for 1Password support here. This log is something macOS creates and maintains, and not something 1Password has direct control over.

As for the other items:

The 2nd and 3rd entry are extraneous. You can delete those (perhaps using ⌘Delete as danco suggested). We have a full set of instructions on removing the App Store version to use the version downloaded directly from us, here. If in the future a diagnostic report is required for support purposes you'll want to download the latest version of the troubleshooting utility anyway, rather than generating the report with an old version.

Ben

• LopezStranded
    LopezStranded
    Community Member

Thanks for your help Ben, this is a very interesting development.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @LopezStranded :+1:

This discussion has been closed.