How to change the default browser for 1Password app?

shishini
shishini
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi I Just installed 1Password on windows

And when I clicked the 3 dots next to a vault name, I got a pop up to choose an app (a browser to open link)
I unwisely selected the first option which was IE 11

Now Any link that open the browser from 1Password, use IE11,
This is the work computer, I dont think I can Uninstall IE11

I tried to delete and resintall 1Password, but it still remember to use IE11

How to I change the browser to Chrome for example

1Password Version:7.7.810
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version:Windows 10
_Referrer
: forum-search:1Password app

Comments

• shishini
    shishini
    Community Member

Ok,

So I figure it out, the installation program have a bug maybe, which led to this confusion
    I will explain below

When I clicked to install 1Password, I got an error message, that 1Password cannot install
    Since I am using my work computer, and we have an additional admin account
    I used install as Admin

This installed 1Password in My Admin Account, but loaded it for the first time, in my current regular account
    The Admin account since i never use it, didnt have a default browser set
    When I clicked in link in 1Password, the popup i got was probably windows asking me to set a default browser
    I select IE

So 1Password was using the default browser, but the default browser for the admin account

Anyway, for some reason (randomly), the app installed on my regular account
    We have McAfee antivirus, maybe it was conflicting with it , and broke randomly

I dont know, but the install program, seem to have a bug, I hope that it installed safely

• Hi @shishini, thanks for your message.

The default browser cannot be changed within 1Password for Windows. 1Password uses the default browser as selected within Windows 10 and can be changed by following this support article from Microsoft: Change your default browser in Windows 10

When I clicked to install 1Password, I got an error message, that 1Password cannot install
    Since I am using my work computer, and we have an additional admin account
    I used install as Admin

1Password for Windows doesn't require any admin rights and installing 1Password "as Admin" can cause additional problems. Perhaps security software may have also played a roll with that error you were originally seeing.

If you are able to disable any security software temporarily (and rebooting), you could try uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password for Windows (not "as Admin") to test if the if the install completes: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

After reenabling the security software you can exclude the 1Password.exe (or the entire 1Password directory) from scans. Installing 1Password from the .exe will install it to the App Data folder and the 1Password.exe lives here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7

Let is know if you need anything further! :)

This discussion has been closed.