Setting up a payment page that is recognized by 1Password

FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I am not a coder. My friend has a website for a seminar he is running, and his payment page is not recognized by 1Password on my iPhone. (I have not tested on my Mac, but I would assume the results would be the same, i.e. No 1Password compatibility)

Meaning I must go to the 1P app, find the credit card, copy it, go back to his payment page, paste it, and then from memory add the Expiration Date, the CVV, and the Zip code.

I'd like to help him design his payment page so it works with 1Password, but I know nothing about webpage coding, other than 1Password compatibility has something to do with the field labels.

Do you have a document I can send him that shows him how to easily make his payment page work with 1Password in the Browser? He is swamped getting this conference together, and he won't do it if it isn't a simple fix.

I went to your knowledge base about setting up forms for log in and autofill, but he'll never have time to read it. And it is all text, no illustrations or examples.

I am seeking something specific for payment pages with screenshots for setting up credit card fields (account number, exp date, CVV, and ZIP).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative:

Do you have a document I can send him that shows him how to easily make his payment page work with 1Password in the Browser?

The official documentation page on this can be found here, if that is the one you are referring to:

Design your website to work best with 1Password

I went to your knowledge base about setting up forms for log in and autofill, but he'll never have time to read it. And it is all text, no illustrations or examples.

The article above does not have illustrations because they would probably have limited usefulness in an article like this, but if you would like to let us know what illustrations you would find useful, I will be happy to send your suggestions to our documentations team.

I have not tested on my Mac, but I would assume the results would be the same, i.e. No 1Password compatibility)

I recommend testing on your Mac too, because 1Password for Mac can fill credit cards via the 1Password browser extension, while 1Password for iOS can currently only fill Login items.

Meaning I must go to the 1P app, find the credit card, copy it, go back to his payment page, paste it, and then from memory add the Expiration Date, the CVV, and the Zip code.

Is there a reason why you are copying and pasting the credit card number, but not all of the other fields? If you switch back to the 1Password app after copying the credit card number, you can copy the other fields too (1Password actually helps you by copying the next field for you).

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Thank you very much for such a rapid response.

Yes, the link you cite is the document I read. It primarily deals with login and password pages, with little or no mention of payment pages. It also assumes a high level of programming knowledge, To someone well versed in coding, no illustrations were necessary. I barely understood it, since I don't code.

Payment pages can exist on websites with no login or password. So, yes, I would like you to suggest to the documentation team a separate document specifically for payment pages. And designed for someone with a beginners level of programming knowledge, perhaps someone working from a web template from Wix or GoDaddy or WordPress, someone who doesn't know how to code. They just want to make the payment page work with 1Password. KISS = Keep It Super Simple. Step 1, Step 2, Step 3.

I will test my friend's site on my Mac.

I did not go back to the credit card page because the other fields were easy to memorize. 4/22, 456, 94110 (not the real content just random numbers for illustration so no need to redact them. I have the real zip memorized, as it is also a mailing address I have used for 10 years.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative:

I also do not code, but I think the fact is just that we are the wrong audience for that article. It's aimed at developers, so I don't know if it can be simplified, but I can certainly pass your feedback to the team, including the suggestion to create a separate page just for payment forms :+1:

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But there are many companies today that sell a "website in a box" as templates that the user customizes with photos, text, etc.

Does 1Password have relationships with the developers of these template products? If so, then the template will have 1Password compatibility built in. If not, the user of the template will need to add it.

Template users are not coders, but they know enough to "tinker" with the code. The envisioned instruction for adding 1Password recognition to a payment page obtained from others as a template would be targeted towards an advanced user who can follow instructions and isn't afraid to get under the hood and tinker. I can read a little Spanish and even speak it a bit, but I still use Google Translate.

I cannot write a MacTerminal command from my head and do not know Unix. But I'm not afraid to run a trusted Unix command in Terminal to achieve a desired result. I know how to change directories to get to the root. Using Terminal is Step 1, Step 2, for me. But I could never use programs like c-Dock and DockMate without using Terminal to turn off some Apple System functions.

Maybe AgileBits needs to start working more closely with the template developers like Wix and GoDaddy or the companies that make payment processing front ends?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative:

If so, then the template will have 1Password compatibility built in. If not, the user of the template will need to add it.

Templates should be compatible with 1Password out of the box, the requirements for that to work are not 1Password specific, and my understanding is that they are actually web development best practices. Therefore, the user of the template should not have to fix a template this way.

Did credit card filling work on the Mac after all?

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Here's the webpage: https://login.circle.so/checkout/silver-pack-summit-2021?request_host=www.members.kyyndr.com

And yes, everything works on the Mac EXCEPT the Full Name field. And the payment page is hosted on an entirely different server and simply dropped into my friend's event check-out page.

Is there anything that can make this page work on the iPhone version? That is where I first noticed that I had to copy and paste the credit card details.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative:

And yes, everything works on the Mac EXCEPT the Full Name field. And the payment page is hosted on an entirely different server and simply dropped into my friend's event check-out page.

I managed to get this to work by creating a new Login manually via the extension:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Please give that a try, it should work for you too :+1:

Is there anything that can make this page work on the iPhone version? That is where I first noticed that I had to copy and paste the credit card details.

I don't think this is possible at the moment, because the Autofill technology on iOS currently only allows us to fill Login credentials, not payment information. This is for every website, so it would not be something specific to this website you are testing. Hopefully Apple will allow developers to do this in a future iOS version though.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Thanks, I did not know Apple changed things to not allow that. My recollection is that they used to allow that. Do they allow it in Safari, but not in Firefox for iOS?

BTW, the latest beta is 7.7.7 and the latest release is 7.7.8. Apple used to do the same thing. Ends the beta program without notification to testers, leaving users stranded on the last beta.

I deleted the 7.7.7. Beta obtained from Test Flight and downloaded the release 7.7.8. As least it is easy to do on iOS. On Mac OS I have to delete the Beta Tester Certificate before I'll get fed the update.

How can I best petition Apple to allow 1Password to 1-click fill payment pages?? I can use iPhone Feedback, the Feedback App where I need to be more specific, or send an e-mail to Tim Cook, which he sometimes reads.

The best idea for Apple would be to fire EVP of Software Craig Federighi. Great presenter, very nice guy, but a very bad manager, with all his development teams in silos.

So, the iOS team is actively preventing something the macOS team explicitly permits. Sometimes Apple is just dumb. If I could talk to Craig, I would ask him to name one Apple Application (other than Operating Systems) that would be considered best in class. Apple makes mediocre software applications. Sad, because the hardware and operating system software is great.

The problem is Tim Cook is good friends with Craig Federighi and they like each other. Craig is bright, and entertaining. But that make Tim Cook blind to Craig's weaknesses.

1Password knows what a "best in class" app is . . . Because you make them. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Apple.

• @FogCityNative

You should be able to autofill payment info on iOS using the action extension for 1Password. It works best in Safari, but other browsers could also use it: https://support.1password.com/1password-extension-ios/

That said, we have some exciting developments on the iOS front. One of our developers shared some exciting news related 1Password for Safari on iOS and iPadOS after WWDC21 in our blog here: https://blog.1password.com/wwdc21/. While we don't have timelines to share, we are definitely excited to get this into production and allow for a more streamlined experience in Safari across Apple devices.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

Thanks for the information. This sounds like a great update. Already installed it on my iPhone 12.

I'm old and a little slow, so this instruction threw me . . . apparently there is a NEW symbol in Safari for iOS.

Not this one:

But the same symbol of the two letters, just not in a box and smaller. What was Apple even thinking by choosing something so totally similar to Text Size to get to Page Settings?:

So when your instructions said "Open Safari to any website and tap the [New Symbol Button I cannot find anywhere online or in PopChar] stupid me thought it was something I needed to type. I read TAP as TYPE. Big Upper Case A, Small Upper Case A. Took me right to Google and the American Airlines website. When I slowed down and realized I could not type this, that it was an icon symbol, things started to make sense.

When I copied and pasted the instruction into this message so we could discuss it, this is what I got, which made even more sense:

_Open Safari to any website and tap the Page Settings button in the address bar.
    _
    The Mac and Mac OS translates the new symbol to its meaning. PAGE SETTINGS. Since said symbol apparently is an iOS only symbol

Ahhhh, the new Page Settings Button. I never noticed that before.

So, may I suggest you add a screenshot graphic highlighting this new button to the linked page you sent me??

Something which you have already done for the intro page of the Safari extension, displayed on iOS.

I learn something new about technology every day. How can anyone stay up to date with this?

• @FogCityNative

I would be lying if I told you that I didn't also type Aa into address bar at first. Except mine ended up at Alcoholics Anonymous! :lol:

What you're saying makes complete sense and can definitely be more intuitive. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to our documentation team to see if we can improve the onboarding experience for other users.

If you have any questions or if there's anything else we can do to help, please let me know! In the meantime, thank you for your support!

This discussion has been closed.