Problems setting up a new account on Mac

finwe
finwe
Community Member

It happened to me twice now that 1Password on Mac behaves unexpectedly and "wonky" right after initial setup.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install 1Password on Mac (I use homebrew)
  2. Initialize a new account by scanning QR code from recovery PDF
  3. Enter the master password created on the web
  4. Account is logged in, shared items/vaults are synced and displayed
  5. Send a copy of items from my personal vault to the newly initialized account
  6. An "Account verification error" (or Chyba ověření účtu in cs_CZ localization) pops up with a field to enter master password in
  7. The correct master password is not recognized
  8. When I cancel the verification window, I can still access already synced items
  9. The verification window pops up I guess on next sync attempt.
  10. When I close (mac-q, or from main menu) 1Password and open it again, it does not require master password (!) and shows all items again, directly accessible. The verification window pops up again after a while
    - This might be intentional and configurable, but I don't see it as a reasonable default, also it behaves differently from other platforms
  11. I have to terminate the process entirely. After that, everything works as expected, including synchronization.

Is there a way to mitigate 6? Can this somehow be altered to be more coherent and error-free?

1Password Version: 7.8.1 (70801003)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Big Sur, current latest
Sync Type: 1Password Business

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @finwe!

Is there a way to mitigate 6? Can this somehow be altered to be more coherent and error-free?

Do you see the same behavior if you use the app downloaded from our website, and not from homebrew? Homebrew is not an official installation method as far as I know.

When I close (mac-q, or from main menu) 1Password and open it again, it does not require master password (!) and shows all items again, directly accessible

Using Cmd+Q only closes the main app window, but 1Password mini keeps running. If you want to quit the app completely, you can use the Control‑Option‑Cmd‑Q keyboard shortcut instead. This will ask you to enter your Master Password again when you launch the app the next time

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Will get back to you once I have an opportunity to test installation without homebrew. But homebrew just downloads and installs https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac7/1Password-7.8.1.zip, I don't see where this behaviour could be caused by it.

Using Cmd+Q only closes the main app window, but 1Password mini keeps running.

Isn't a saner default to lock the workspace in this case? I am a windows user, so maybe I miss some Mac paradigm, but when the app seems not running, I would expect it to be locked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@finwe:

Isn't a saner default to lock the workspace in this case? I am a windows user, so maybe I miss some Mac paradigm, but when the app seems not running, I would expect it to be locked.

I am not a developer so I don't know the technical reason behind this, but I think this is something we can certainly discuss. I see why the behavior is like this at the moment (although the main app is quit, 1Password is still running in the background, and you can see it in your menu bar), but I can also understand how this could be surprising.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

The same problem with "Account verification error" persists even when 1Password is installed from the officialy downloaded package, just verified.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@finwe:

Thank you for the confirmation. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Diagnostic report just sent, looking forward to the solution.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@finwe:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Yes, it's #MBF-36972-725

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@finwe:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: MBF-36972-725

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Hi, has this moved in any direction? Because as of last week, the problem is still present and especially for new users it is extremely confusing that 1Password does not accept their main password unless restarted.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@finwe:

Our developers did add a fix in the last version of 1Password for Mac:

Fixed an issue with authentication that could cause you to become disconnected by trying to authenticate while already authenticated. {#5265}

Are you using version 7.8.7 of the app when this happens?

ref: apple-5265

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

I just experienced this again today with version 7.9.0. I noticed it happens when I log in to an account that was not confirmed by an admin, and is then confirmed.

And as I wrote previously, not only that i am logged-off, but also the master password is not accepted unless the app is completely restarted.

This discussion has been closed.