PayPal 2FA in 1Password failed…

I tried to log into my PayPal account today. 1Password entered the login, password, then the 2FA code and… it failed. I couldn’t log in.
I tried a few times, copying the code from the 1Password app instead, and eventually I was locked out.
I had to reset my password and get the 2FA code by text to get back in.
I tried to re-create the 2FA integration in 1Password. The app didn’t offer a “scan” window to scan the QR code in PayPal so I had to copy/paste the 2FA activation code. It started generating codes, but they all failed.
I eventually switched to Authy for the 2FA and through there it worked like a charm.
Is there a known issue with 2FA in recent nightly builds?? It’s clearly not working for me at all on my Mac :-\

1Password Version: 8.2.2-30.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 12.0

Comments

• Hi @cortig, thanks for letting us know about this here. I'm sorry to hear you encountered this chain of issues.

I haven't heard about any such problems in the new Mac app, but I'll get in touch with this team to see if we can figure out what might be going on. Thank you, and we hope to have more for you soon!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P,

Yeah, it’s not something I had seen before in prior builds of 1Password. And I even think I used it to access PayPal before…
    In any case, it seemed serious enough that I thought I and to report it here.

• @cortig We're certainly grateful that you did! I'll confer with some of our team members here and see if we can figure out what might be afoot with this. Thank you again, and sorry for the whole issue so far. We'll do our best to set it right. 👍

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2021

Oh, quick thought, @cortig: have you had a look at your device time settings? If the system time on your device is off, that can cause 2FA to fail, because time-based one-time passwords rely on a very exact sync to verify that it's you trying to sign in. Just a thought, as we go forward!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@PeterG_1P the clock on my Mac was correct. It’s using the default Apple ntp server to stay on time and there’s nothing that indicates that the clock was off.

Corentin

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @cortig !

I'm using build 8.2.2-36.NIGHTLY of 1Password for Windows, and I'm able to log into my PayPal account. 2FA code is autofilled, and it works like a charm. Also, former builds of 1Password for Windows had no problems with my PayPal account.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@cortig The clock might be off just enough to cause trouble but not enough for you to notice. It can't harm to turn off automatic time setting and then turn it on again, and I have known that to work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cortig:

It’s using the default Apple ntp server to stay on time and there’s nothing that indicates that the clock was off.

If you want to make sure, a good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website: https://time.is :+1:

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Of course. And as a side note, 2FA is working fine on other sites, like Dropbox. It was only PayPal.

Corentin

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the clarification :+1:

• @cortig

It might be worth trying to setup 2FA for PayPal within 1Password from scratch again and see if that gets us anywhere.

We've not received any other reports expressing issues with PayPal, and I was able to successfully use my own 1Password-provided 2FA code for my personal PayPal account today without issue.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I’ll try another time, but I did try that when I first experienced issues with it.
    That’s how I noticed that 1Password 8 did not offer the "QR scanner” on my Mac the way it used to.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I was able to get it to work again, but not on the first attempt. It took me a couple of "The code does not match.” before it worked. That’s really a weird issue. And no: I was not grabbing a code that was about to expire — I was copying it as soon as it was regenerated.

• That is certainly odd, @cortig. Thank you for letting us know. We'll keep an eye on it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.