1P 8 for Mac couple of regressions from 7 that break my workflow.

Options

Hi everyone,

Been gathering a list of things that break my workflows over a longer period of time, to filter out the ones that were just "being used to it being that way".

Here's the list of things that still keep bothering me, and are regressions to 1P 7:

1) App specific-context in the Quick Search.

Situation - PDF passwords in Preview / digital signature apps (PIN codes) / Crypto wallets (MetaMask), etc.

Before - Click mini - passwords are right there, prefiltered, just the ones you need.
Now - Well, god knows. Quick Search doesn't even search through the app names / bundle names.

This one is really breaking for me.

2) Quick search lacks details compared to the mini, crippling my ability to find the right password.

Situation - I've got tons, and I mean tons of passwords. Eg. over 20 for AWS alone. Not all perfectly titled.

Before - Click mini, write "AWS", quickly arrow down through a couple to find the right one by one of the fields I remember (client name / account id - one of those will click - I rarely use most of them, so it'd be next ot impossible to figure out a bulletproof title).
Now - Quick search, write AWS, enter on the first one, new window opens, shit, not that one,Quick search, write AWS, enter on the second one, new window opens, ad nauseam.

Potential solution - Open full 1Password by rmb on the tray icon. Well - but main 1P doesn't just filter the results instantaneously as you write!
In fact it doubles as QS. I really don't like that.

Potential solution 2 - Use Safari extension that behaves like the old mini. Cool, but I don't live in the browser, I'm not going to open Safari just for that. Not to mention the extension's UI is much less fluid and performant than 1P7. Well, 1P8 is also much less fluid and performant, but not as much as the extension (both monterey and big sur).

3) Quick Search loses focus often.

Open up quick search, start writing - shit - another app gets focus. Suddenly, after anything between 2 characters written in the QS, all the others end up in the app that suddenly got focus in the background.

It happens very often (3-4 times a day per ~30 uses), never happens with 1P 7.

4) Can't edit from the QS.

Adding new fields / passwords to existing items just seems very tedious now.

What's the recommended flow for the user here?

5) The fonts are way way way way too big. Everywhere.

Much less is visible in the UI now on one screen, great waste of real estate, please don't go that way, it's a utility app not a startup landing page. Think Excel.

PS to the devs: Great job on creating the best performing Electron app out there (don't stop though, please, it's still far from fluid 60fps, but it's the best), I know how much effort and time it took. I don't agree with the decision, but I respect what you've done within the constraints given by the management. Well done guys, engineer to engineer.

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi @tomekkopczuk, thanks for taking the time to provide us with this in-depth feedback here. We always want to know what we can do better, so I've passed this along to our developers for further discussion. Thanks for highlighting where you think we could improve. We take it as a welcome challenge!

Well done guys, engineer to engineer.

On behalf of the team, thank you for this as well. This is the kind of thing that keeps us motivated and aspiring to exceed your expectations. 😃

ref: dev/core/core#10087
    ref: dev/core/core#10088
    ref: dev/core/core#9396

• Hello @tomekkopczuk, I have an update for you on one of these requests!

As of the most recent Beta, you can now adjust the density of items in your list, as well as the contents of the left side panel. There's also an ** interface zoom** option, which lets you adjust the size of things in the app, rather than their spacing per se. Check out the details here:

https://1password.community/discussion/128543/beta-12-of-2022-is-now-available-️#latest

If you'd like to check it out, we'd love to have your impressions of this. Thanks again for the feedback you've provided, and we hope to keep impressing you more with each update! 👋

• tomekkopczuk
    tomekkopczuk
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P Indeed, very nice, great feature!

I had to go through a loop of installing and uninstalling the beta to make it run though, it wasn't able to start for some reason. No crash I think, just nothing happened. After uninstalling and installing again it worked, you might want to look into this.

I gave it, again, my best shot to evaluate throughout the last week.

So - I actually wrote a big rant here, but - there's no DM feature, and I wish you well, really, have been with you for many years,

So, deleted it all, and let me put it like this:

Using 1P 8 is not a pleasant experience. Improvements made since november betas are cosmetic changes and fundamental issues with the new UX are not getting addressed .

I'm done believing in 1P 8, this UX direction makes it more or less unusable for me, see y'all on v9 betas.

• Hi @tomekkopczuk, thanks once again for your feedback.

I had to go through a loop of installing and uninstalling the beta to make it run though, it wasn't able to start for some reason. No crash I think, just nothing happened. After uninstalling and installing again it worked, you might want to look into this.

Thanks for letting us know. While I'm not sure from the description alone what might have caused this, it is something we could help troubleshoot if you are interested to do so (I understand you have deleted the app from your subsequent statement, though).

Thank you, sincerely, for taking the time to evaluate the app. We appreciate as well the extensive feedback you provided earlier. And while I did submit your previous suggestions on an item-by-item basis, I've also forwarded your newest feedback here to our development team about how things have progressed since then.

We'll keep doing our best to create an unparalleled app experience for you, and hope you'll check in again.

This discussion has been closed.