Location Backup Encrypted Database

laciotat
laciotat
Community Member

Hi,

I purchased the Family Plan.
I'd like to backup my encrypted database on an external hard drive and/or on another external Cloud provider that I have control on.
I am not able to generate that backup of encrypted data myself. I can only export unencrypted data (that I could encrypt again afterwards, but that's not the point, I am not comfortable handling such sensitive non-encrypted file on my computer).
I know that you're saving the encrypted database locally in the cache of all the devices. On Linux I see the following:
blabla@localhost:/var/cache/PackageKit/34/hawkey$ ls -lrt 1password*
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1507 Sep 13 22:21 1password-filenames.solvx
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 7970 Sep 13 22:21 1password.solv

Is one of them some database backup? Which one should I save that I could use to get access to the password again?
Do you have a CLI that I could use to access decrypt the DB?
Also, is that possible to save the 1password DB both on your Cloud using the Family Plan AND on Dropbox?

Best regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux

Comments

• Hi @laciotat

Thanks for writing in with these questions.

I know that you're saving the encrypted database locally in the cache of all the devices.

That is correct however we avoid referring to the offline cache as a backup, and don't recommend relying on it as such. While you can certainly back it up, if you restore it, it will be overwritten with the data from 1Password.com as soon as you unlock the app while connected to the internet. We are working on an encrypted export format (.1pex) which will likely be a more suitable solution once available.

Is one of them some database backup?

The cache file is 1password.sqlite and is generally stored in ~/.config/1Password.

Do you have a CLI that I could use to access decrypt the DB?

We do offer a CLI tool, but it is more of an API vs what you're looking for. It cannot (currently) be used offline like the desktop apps can be. One of our customers did create a wrapper that caches the data for the CLI locally so that it can be used that way:

1pass caching wrapper for CLI — 1Password Support Community

This is not a 1Password created/supported solution, so caveat emptor, but it does demonstrate what is possible.

Also, is that possible to save the 1password DB both on your Cloud using the Family Plan AND on Dropbox?

Syncing with Dropbox is not a feature of 1Password for Linux (or 1Password 8 and going forward in general).

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.