1Password isn't working correctly in Safari

1Password is unlocked. I am on a website and need to enter the password. The Safari extension is locked and I need to unlock it, which I don't understand as the application is unlocked.

After I unlock it, I get this.

Perhaps it doesn't recognize the website, which it should, as I've use 1P on my phone on the website; but even if it doesn't recognize it, shouldn't it put up a search box or something.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.2-23.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 12b7

Comments

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Sorry, I can't see how to edit a message.

It says Search, but I'm not seeing where to type. The next time I tried it on the site the panel was just blank, not even the gray areas.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky:

It says Search, but I'm not seeing where to type.

You can type exactly where it says "Search 1Password", you should be able to click there and start typing directly inside the field.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @TomWolsky! As to why the extension shows as locked instead of unlocked, I would like you to try to quit Safari, and then quit 1Password, before launching 1Password again, and Safari again, in this order.

If you now unlock the 1Password app, is the Safari extension also unlocked at the same time?

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I did it the in the sequence you said, launched 1Passord, unlocked it, launched Safari. Strangeness continues. 1P for Safari had disappeared.

It wasn't in Preferences/Extensions either. Gone, not just unchecked.

However it still appeared in Launchpad.

I'll try this again after reloading 1P for Safari.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I reinstalled 1P for Safari from the App Store. Safari was closed. I opened the downloaded app and clicked Open Safari Preferences. Nothing happened. I opened Safari; there was nothing in extensions. I'll try to gather some diagnostics and send to support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky:

I'll try to gather some diagnostics and send to support.

Thank you! After you have sent the email, please post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I sent a link to the thread with the email, but I'll post the ticket number here if you like.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Yes please @TomWolsky, thank you :+1:

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

This is the ticket number: #MDK-82988-335

Chantelle in support gave me this Terminal command to run

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

The extension was back in Safari. I gave it access to all websites.

I then repeated the sequence, closed Safari, closed one 1Password, launched 1Password and unlocked it, launched Safari. The extension is there but shows it's locked. If I click on it to unlock it, I get this page.

I've seen this happen before in the early days of 1P 8.

• @TomWolsky

When you attempt to click the 1Password icon a second time, after receiving this page, does it work as expected? If not, I'd like to ask you to grab a console log from Safari and send it via email. You can include it in a reply to the same ticket where we were previously troubleshooting:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Choose "Safari > "Preferences" > "Advanced" in the menu bar.
    3. Click "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
    4. Choose "Develop > Web Extension Background Pages > 1Password for Safari"
    5. Press Command + A to select everything, and then right click, "Save as" to generate a file.

Le me know how it goes.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

It's working for me today. 1P for Safari is unlocking when I unlock 1Password. I tried two ways, launching and unlocking 1Password first, and also by launching Safari first, which launches 1Password. Not sure if that's the expected behavior, but in both instances 1P for Safari was unlocked, so when I clicked it I did not get the Welcome page.

Thanks for your help Chantelle.

• FCNV
    FCNV
    Community Member

The idea that this was going to launch in September when you still can't keep the lock status in sync between the app and extension...and the way to try to fix it is run a terminal command is hilarious.

• Glad to hear it's working for you @TomWolsky! :smile:

You're right @FCNV! It's not ideal but serves a good workaround until we have a more comprehensive solution to address the issue of the extension not appearing, as expected, in Safari.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

The extension disappeared again today. Not sure what triggers that, but the Terminal command fixed it again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Please keep us posted @TomWolsky :+1:

This discussion has been closed.