Create Document Entry with Notes field

I'm trying to create a "Document" type of 1Password Entry using the Python SDK for Secrets Automation. I know we can't upload files at the moment, but I want to create it as a placeholder (for the time being) and then direct the user to attach the file to the new entry manually. This entry would then automatically have the right tags given to it by my scripts etc.

At the moment, if I run the following:

from onepasswordconnectsdk.models import ItemVault, Field, Item

item = Item(
        vault=ItemVault(id=vault_id),
        title="test",
        category="DOCUMENT",
        tags=["1password-connect"],
        fields=[Field(value="This is a test Item", purpose="NOTES")],
    )

client.create_item(vault_id, item)

it fails with the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python39\lib\runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "C:\Python39\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "c:\Users\johnn\.vscode\extensions\ms-python.python-2021.9.1230869389\pythonFiles\lib\python\debugpy\__main__.py", line 45, in <module>
    cli.main()
  File "c:\Users\johnn\.vscode\extensions\ms-python.python-2021.9.1230869389\pythonFiles\lib\python\debugpy/..\debugpy\server\cli.py", line 444, in main
    run()
  File "c:\Users\johnn\.vscode\extensions\ms-python.python-2021.9.1230869389\pythonFiles\lib\python\debugpy/..\debugpy\server\cli.py", line 285, in run_file
    runpy.run_path(target_as_str, run_name=compat.force_str("__main__"))
  File "C:\Python39\lib\runpy.py", line 268, in run_path
    return _run_module_code(code, init_globals, run_name,
  File "C:\Python39\lib\runpy.py", line 97, in _run_module_code
    _run_code(code, mod_globals, init_globals,
  File "C:\Python39\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "c:\Work\scripts\onepassword_secrets\onepassword_secrets\onepassword.py", line 417, in <module>
    main()
  File "c:\Work\scripts\onepassword_secrets\onepassword_secrets\onepassword.py", line 404, in main
  File "c:\Users\johnn\AppData\Local\pypoetry\Cache\virtualenvs\onepassword-secrets-py0LK9l0-py3.9\lib\site-packages\onepasswordconnectsdk\client.py", line 177, in create_item
    raise FailedToRetrieveItemException(
onepasswordconnectsdk.client.FailedToRetrieveItemException: Unable to post item. Received 400                    for /v1/vaults/tbouu4flygrypkkzjzduo5m7gq/items with message: Validation: (validateVaultItem failed to Validate), Couldn't validate the item: "[ItemValidator] has found 1 errors, 0 warnings: \nErrors:{1. Field of unexpected type \"\" at \"item.details.documentAttributes\". Requires one of [\"object\"]}"

Hoever, if I were to change the category to SECURE_NOTE for example, it runs happily:

from onepasswordconnectsdk.models import ItemVault, Field, Item

item = Item(
        vault=ItemVault(id=vault_id),
        title="test",
        category="SECURE_NOTE",
        tags=["1password-connect"],
        fields=[Field(value="This is a test Item", purpose="NOTES")],
    )

When I look at an existing "Document", I see it has a NOTES field, so I'm wondering, is it just not possible to create a DOCUMENT type of entry with no attachement, but we obviously can't add an attachment at the moment, so it's not possible to create this type of entry at all for the time being? Or is something else going wrong?

1Password Version: !Password Connect 1.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• floris_1P
    edited September 2021

You're right that uploading files in Connect are not yet supported. And at the same time, having documents without attached files is also not supported, so creating 'partial' documents is not possible either. We are working on better file workflows in Connect and its SDKs.

What you can do now is create normal items in Connect, and then using the 1Password 8 betas, attach your files as fields. Another benefit there is that you can add multiple files to the same item, where as documents only correspond to a single file.

The error message you posted could be more clear on the fact that documents are not supported, I will report that to the team.

This discussion has been closed.