Unlocking 1Password via browser icon no longer shows browser app after unlock

As of the latest 1Password update (where the browser extension can now be unlocked with Windows Hello), if 1Password is locked and I click the browser extension icon, I get the login/Windows Hello popup as expected, but when I enter my Windows Hello PIN, the app only unlocks but does not actually display the browser app; I have to click the extension a second time to actually show the app.

This is admittedly a minor nuisance, but it's a UX regression and an annoying extra step that diminishes the normally-great 1Password UX. The extension used to open immediately after I unlocked it, now I have to click it twice to get to my data (click, unlock, wait, realize it's not going to open, click it again).

1Password Version: 7.7.807
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @theremin ,
    Thanks for bringing this up.

The Windows Hello prompt is coming from the desktop app which jumps to the front. After you dismiss it, the browser then gets focus back but not the extension. That's why 1Password does not open up after unlocking.

If you disable the integration in the extension's settings and unlock it using your Master Password, then the Master Password's screen will belong to the extension itself, which means it will remain in focus for the duration of the entire process.

Thanks for the feedback here, we'll see if there's anything we can do about this matter even though the behavior of how different apps and extensions focus is handled by the OS is a bit out of our control in this instance.

• theremin
    theremin
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @ag_yaron. I finally got fed up with this behavior and disabled Windows Hello completely as you suggested. Unfortunately, this made no difference. When I click the 1Password X browser extension icon, it now pops up the master password prompt instead of Windows Hello, but after I enter my password, the password entry form just closes and nothing else happens. The 1Password extension doesn't open up until I click the extension icon again. This definitely didn't used to happen with the old extension.

• ag_chantelle
    edited September 2021

@theremin

You're right, it does look like there's an extra click required to keep the pop-up open once you've unlocked it using Windows Hello. We do apologize for the disruption here. Our development team has been working on some improvements, and I believe this has already been addressed in our beta version of 1Password for your browser. Would you be willing to give it a try?

You can install it from here: Use 1Password beta releases

I'd be interested to know if it improves your state of play.

ref: dev/core/core#7986

• theremin
    theremin
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Thanks @ag_chantelle. This new beta version appears to be an improvement. It eliminates the extra click, which is nice.

There's still 2-3 second delay when I click the extension icon before it actually shows the Windows Hello prompt, and the opened extension just says "Open 1Password" during that delay. I recognize that you guys have no control over Windows Hello, and I'm sure this is impossible given the limited sandbox that extensions have, but if it were somehow possible, a better user experience would be to have the extension window show a loading spinner until the Windows Hello prompt or 1Password password prompt pops up.

• theremin
    theremin
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@ag_chantelle Quick bit of additional follow up feedback: With this new beta extension, once I've finished entering my password (or Windows Hello), the extension window is open (which is great) but the search textbox isn't focused like it normally is when I click the extension icon if it's unlocked. So I have to click into the textbox again to be able to start typing to search. It would be nice if the search textbox automatically received focus once the extension is unlocked.

• @theremin

I'm glad to hear the beta improved your state of play a little. You're right, the 2-3 second delay is not ideal. I'd be interested to know if it improves for you over time. If you find it does not, a console log from your browser would be helpful to pin down any underlying issues. Let me know if you need instructions on how to grab a log, I'll be happy to send those over.

I've also tested the behaviour you mentioned where the "Search" field is not immediately focused after unlocking 1Password in your browser. I'll be sure to share this with our development team to see if we can improve the experience here. I apologize for the extra click.

ref: dev/core/core#10156

This discussion has been closed.