Safari extension vs Desktop app

Hello,
like the majority of community members I'm very annoyed with the new app. I'm using 1P since v5 and recently switched to subscription to take advantage of membership.
I tried v8 and it is a mess, I know it is in early stages but it feels like a webpage wrapped in an app, so it doesn't fit my needs. However I realized that Safari extension is now a (painfully slow) separate and independent app, so that I expect it will be possible to use the extension without installing the desktop app.
Is it going to work this way when the final version is released? Will I be able to use only Safari extension without the desktop app?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi, @giopiar. Thanks for giving the early access a try! Regarding the Safari extension, yes, you can use it by itself, and I expect it will stay that way. Our extensions for Chrome and Firefox have worked this way for some time and there are quite a few users who don't use a desktop app at all.

I'm sorry the extension is slow right now. I've noticed this myself in my testing (I don't use Safari regularly), and I think we have a bit of tuning to do there.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Coming back to this issue: The proceed of getting to a login/password when the app is locked is weirdly dissociated between the extensions and the app.

WHen clicking in a field to authenticate, you get a prompt in Safari asking you to unlock. The unlock button opens up the app itself, where you need to enter your password, then it goes back to Safari — where it’s still asking you to unlock (it doesn’t auto-refresh). You have to click unlock again to get it to display 1Password items you can use on the page.

Lots of clicks and mousing around to get the password to be filled in (and it sure can’t be done with the keyboard alone).
    Are there plans for improvement or will we have to learn to live with that?
    I thought the whole purpose of the Safari Extension app was precisely to allow me to integrate directly within the browser (even without the app on my Mac as you mentioned yourself. Why it it even going back and forth between the two then?? Way does it need unlocking in the app itself and not within the browser through he extension?

Corentin

• @cortig

Are there plans for improvement or will we have to learn to live with that?

I do think there is still room for improvement here, and hope we'll be able to smooth the process out a bit.

I thought the whole purpose of the Safari Extension app was precisely to allow me to integrate directly within the browser (even without the app on my Mac as you mentioned yourself. Why it it even going back and forth between the two then?? Way does it need unlocking in the app itself and not within the browser through he extension?

You have the option of either using the extension with integration between it and the desktop app or as an independent setup. If you want the two to unlock together, and to be able to use Touch ID / Apple Watch unlock, then unlocking has to be handled by the desktop app. If you want to use them separately you can disable the "Integrate with 1Password App" option by right clicking on the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar and selecting Settings. Alternatively you can turn off integration with any browsers by opening the 1Password app turning off 1Password > Preferences > Browser > Connect with 1Password in the browser.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Hi @Ben,

On this specific computer I don’t have the option to use TouchID or Apple Watch unlocking, so I suspect I’ll deactivate the integration.
    If I do that though, will it break the Command-\ shortcut? Are they other benefits to the integration itself? The app itself implies that integrating the two makes it “easier to unlock and fill your passwords”.

Corentin

• If I do that though, will it break the Command-\ shortcut?

Yes, it will. That keyboard shortcut is assigned to the 1Password app, which passes it to the browser extension. With integration disabled, that passing does not happen.

Are they other benefits to the integration itself?

With the integration enabled:

• Whenever the app is locked/unlocked the extension will be as well, and vice versa
    • You don't have to sign into each of your accounts (enter Secret Key) separately in the app vs the extension

Those are the points I can think of off-hand. :)

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I see your point about the unlocking once for all usage. Most of the time though I need to unlock for the browser to fill in login or record new passwords. I need the app itself less frequently, so I’ll be fine using the two separately.

Now that I’ve figured out that the integration needs to be disabled BOTH in the app and in the extension settings, things are working much better for me.

• Glad to hear you've found the setup that works best for your workflow. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.