FYI for openSUSE users

Options
rcj32
rcj32
Community Member

I was very happy to see 1Password released for Linux but a bit frustrated by the install options for openSUSE. I dislike snaps and while I do prefer flatpak which it appears may be upcoming I don't particularly want the sandboxing to break 1Password browser integration. Meanwhile downloading rpms off the website makes updating a bit annoying. I searched the forums here and found that while you used to be able to add the Fedora repo to Yast and then install/update with zypper, that's been blocked. But I have found an alternative I wanted to share in case other openSUSE users were similarly frustrated:

I primarily use Tumbleweed but I have Fedora on an additional SSD I use for messing around, mostly to see if KDE Wayland is ever stable. So I'm familiar with dnf. It turns out you can use dnf on openSUSE and it's available in the official repos:

sudo zypper install dnf
The openSUSE wiki page on dnf also recommends installing rpm-repos-opensuse - I personally would not as this will add openSUSE repos to dnf - I just want to use dnf for 1Password and zypper for everything else.

Once it's installed, you can proceed with step 1 of the Linux instructions unchanged:
sudo rpm --import https://downloads.1password.com/linux/keys/1password.asc

Then add the Fedora repo:
sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://downloads.1password.com/linux/rpm/stable/\$basearch
Replace "stable" with "beta" if you want the beta releases.

Then:
sudo dnf makecache

Finally, install:
sudo dnf install 1password

Now you'll have 1Password installed and can easily update from the terminal using dnf:
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh

Works perfectly for me, much easier than downloading a new rpm with every update, particularly if you want beta releases which update more frequently. And no need to involve snaps and break browser integration.

1Password Version: 8.1.2-42
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @rcj32

Thanks for sharing this tip! Admittedly I'm not an openSUSE user so I'm not familiar with what would normally be desired here. What could we do that would make the experience better?

Ben

• rcj32
    rcj32
    Community Member
    Options

I think ideally there would be a way to install and update 1Password with zypper, either using the Fedora repo which used to work, a dedicated openSUSE repo, or an openSUSE Build Service official/semi-official package. The OBS is kind of like an equivalent of the Arch AUR.

Or if there's not enough interest in providing official support for openSUSE (not sure how many openSUSE or SUSE users you have), I'm interested in the flatpak which it seems is planned from reading the forums. If they can get browser extension integration working with the sandboxing I'd probably just switch to that.

• Blake
    Options

I'm interested in the flatpak which it seems is planned from reading the forums. If they can get browser extension integration working with the sandboxing I'd probably just switch to that.

Savanni did share a snippet here, regarding where we currently stand in regards to browser integration and Flatpak at this current time, just to keep you in the loop on that side of things!

This is likely the space where you're going to want to stay-tuned to, as Flatpak might realistically be the best solution to what you're looking for.

• Frits
    Frits
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben ,

Thanks for sharing this tip! Admittedly I'm not an openSUSE user so I'm not familiar with what would normally be desired here.
    What could we do that would make the experience better?

One way to do that would be to work with the openSUSE community and see how much work it would be to set up repositories for openSUSE. :) Seeing that the downloadable RPM's work fine on openSUSE I would imagine it would be doable to get it going. (I know: famous last words)

I am also an openSUSE Tumbleweed user and downloading the RPM and installing it on all PC's in the family quickly becomes a drag (family account). Using the snap or flatpak (without working browser extension integration) will not pass the "partner test" as said partner (or son for that matter) will resort to using easy to use, easy to guess passwords as they simply would find having to retype the master password over and over again too much work.

@rcj32 Thank you for your tip. However, it did not work at first try; I needed to install the dnf core-plugins first because otherwise dnf throws an error message that "config-manager" is not a recognized command. After that it worked like a charm, so workable workaround. Thank you! For now I will just implement the workaround on the pc's in the household.

Cheers,
    F.

1pw; 8.2.0
    ext: 2.0.7

• 1P_Claudio
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thank you @Fritz for taking the time to provide feedback and your suggestion to work with openSUSE.

I completely understand it can become a little disruptive to manually deal with RPMs especially with your circumstances, I've passed this along to our dev team so we can look into it further.

If there is anything more we can do in the meantime drop us a line. :)

ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#916

• LostLinuxGuy
    LostLinuxGuy
    Community Member
    Options

The following worked for me on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

sudo rpm --import https://downloads.1password.com/linux/keys/1password.asc
    sudo zypper ar https://downloads.1password.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64 1password
    sudo zypper install 1password

I had to choose to ignore the missing dependency on systemd-udev.

• fabpw
    fabpw
    Community Member
    Options

thank you for the hint, I was looking for a way to install 1password on opensuse. normally i would just resort to flatpak, but i dont want to lose the connection with the browser.

just one question, as 1pw is such a important program and I dont want to risk its security: can the missing systemd-udev library be a security risk somehow?

• Ben
    Options

Apologies for the delay, but my colleague has now replied on that point here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/626169/#Comment_626169

Ben

This discussion has been closed.