Chrome Reboots when Extension Enabled

Options
RickMessNC
RickMessNC
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

First time here. Be gentle :)

When the 1Password extension is enabled Chrome reboots when quit - Command Q, Chrome closes, then reopens. Force quit and Chrome quits and reopens. I disabled all extensions and re-enabled one at a time. The extension that "caused" the reboot is the 1Password extension. When that is disabled Chrome quits as expected. I am using the latest version of Chrome (93.0.4577.82). Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a remedy? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance. Rick

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 2.0.7
OS Version: Mac OS 11.6
Referrer: forum-search:chrome reopens

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickMessNC!

I have personally never seen this before, but I wonder if you could try rebooting once? Before trying anything else, did you by chance give that a try already?

• RickMessNC
    RickMessNC
    Community Member
    Options

Hello ag_ana. Thanks for the response. I reboot every time I make changes to the extensions. I checked to make sure there is no malware in the system as well. I'm stumped. I think I'm going to download the Beta for Chrome and see if that does anything to solve the issue.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hey @RickMessNC ,

I think I encountered this once before. Although a long shot:

• Do you use Touch ID to unlock 1Password?
    • Do you have a Mac with a Touch Bar?
    • If so, do you use any 3rd party apps that alter the Touch Bar's behavior or allow you to customize its actions?

If the answer is Yes to the above questions, please try turning off/disabling any 3rd party app that has anything to do with the customising the Touch Bar and see if the issue persists.

In case that suggestion is irrelevant, please try right-clicking the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser, select "Settings" to get to the extension's settings page and turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option there, see if the issue still persists when the integration is off.

Let us know what you find.

ref: dev/core/core#10240

• RickMessNC
    RickMessNC
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron

Thanks for those suggestions. I do have a MacBook Pro with touch bar. It's in a docking station, so I don't use the touch bar with any regularity. I did, however, disable BetterTouchTool, rebooted the system, and miracle of miracles Chrome now quits like a good program should. Hopefully that was the fix.

Again, thanks for thinking this through for me. It is most appreciated.

• @RickMessNC:

On behalf of @ag_yaron, glad to hear that worked!

Cheers!

• schackbrian
    schackbrian
    Community Member
    Options

I encountered the same issue as @RickMessNC. When I quit Chrome, then it automatically reopens. When I disable the 1Password extension, then it quits normally. I use a MacBook Pro (M1) with a touch bar. System Preferences –> Keyboard –> Touch Bar shows –> Expanded Control Strip. I have never used BetterTouchTool. As @ag_yaron suggested, I disabled integration with the 1Password app, and this resolved the issue.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @schackbrian, thanks for letting us know about this! We're glad that things are working well for you again. Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

This discussion has been closed.