1Password in the Browser (1Password X Extension) Does Not Fill SoFi Password

Not sure what has happened, but the 1Password Browser extension (1PasswordX) does not fill in the password field for SoFi. It does fill in the username. Not sure exactly when it stopped working, but it's definitely not doing so on my Mac or iPad. The older extension fills in the site just fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tezgno!

Can you please share a full URL to this page, so we can make sure we test the same form? Thank you!

• Hello @tezgno,

Thank you very much for the link. The 1Password in the browser does not seem to have trouble saving and filling both email and password fields for me. Could you please try these steps to create a new login manually for your site and see how it works?

1. Go to your website > Enter your Email and Password > Right-click on the 1Password icon on your browser's toolbar > Select "Save Login" > Click on "Update login" > Select "Save new item" > Save.

2. Refresh the page and try filling using the new item.

If the new login item works, you can move the old item to the trash.

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

That appears to work. Creating a new login item and replacing the old one, it now works correctly. Any particular reason why I needed to create a new login?

• @tezgno

It's tough to say, with certainty, what changed on the site. Often sites may change the specific URL or HTML attributes assigned to the specified field. Saving a new Login with the corrected HTML attributes associated will usually get things working again.

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

Normally that would make sense. However, in this case it doesn't because the old login works with the 1Password 7 extension for Mac. It does not work with the 1Password X extension. Creating a new login works in both the 1Password 7 extension as well as the 1Password X extension. While HTML elements can and do change, I would expect it to break in both extensions and not one or the other.

• @tezgno

You're right, there should be no difference in behaviour regardless of which browser you're using. The new version of 1Password uses a different "brain" to autofill your credentials. So you will still notice some minor variations in filling behaviour when compared to the companion app extension or the Safari App Extension, which comes built in with the 1Password 7 desktop app. For any browsers that use the new version, filling behaviour will be universal.

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

Ok, this is now broken again (extension 2.1.3). Saving a new login doesn't work as well. It will now only fill in the email address. Extension that comes with 1password 7 still works fine.

• @tezgno

I'm having some trouble replicating the behaviour you're seeing. The site fills on both the stable and beta versions of 1Password in my browser. I also tried saving a new Login and it worked as expected. Can you confirm the steps you've taken to create a new Login? Do you have the same experience as illustrated in my recording here?

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle

No, I do not have the experience. A couple of things that I noticed is that you are using Chrome whereas I'm using Safari. Second, your new site experience is the exact same experience I see on my Windows 10 machine with the same extension. On my Mac with Safari, when I go to create a new login, I do notice that it doesn't record the email address in the username field and rather, saves that as an additional field (Email) on the item.

• ag_chantelle
    edited October 2021

@tezgno

I'm also unable to replicate this in Safari. When I save a new Login, it saves both the email address and password in the proper fields and allows me subsequently autofill using the inline menu: https://cln.sh/Pf3NIJ

Can you confirm which version of 1Password you're using in Safari under Safari > Preferences > Extensions?

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle

I'm running 2.1.3 according to the extension. Could 1password 8 Early Access be causing this? Because I noticed that my new save screen doesn't look like yours either.

• ag_chantelle
    edited October 2021

@tezgno

You're right! For some reason this version is saving the web form details quite differently! In this case, if possible, I'd recommend saving the Login from a different browser and then refreshing Safari to see if you're able to properly autofill. I'll be sure to get this on our development team's radar, as we expect that 1Password for Safari would be aligned with 1Password in any other browser. I appreciate you taking the time to report this.

Let me know if saving it in a different browser works for you!

ref: dev/core/core#10672

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle

No, saving a different browser doesn't work either. I tried saving in a different browser and it only fills in the email address and not the password. Interestingly, the old one works on other machines but not my Mac's running Safari. It has to be something with that.

• Thanks for confirming those details @tezgno! I've reported this to our development team. It appears that there are multiple frames for the login fields when the site is viewed in Safari, causing 1Password to read them differently. That said, I'd be interested to know if saving a new Login in Safari, but editing the the "username" field before saving it works for you. To illustrate, I've recorded the steps here. Can you let me know if that improves your filling experience?

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle

No, that doesn't work either.

• @tezgno

Since I'm unable to reproduce the behaviour on my end, I'd like to gather some diagnostics from your Mac. Can you please grab a diagnostics report and send it to us at support+x@1password.com? Please be sure to include a link to our current discussion. One of our team members will have a look and let you know what we find.

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle

This has been sent.

• Thanks @tezgno. I've found it! Let's continue our conversation there.

ref: FCQ-54954-169

This discussion has been closed.