PayPal login problem

Options

I've looked through several pages of problems and did a 'search' on PayPal but didn't see anything relative to what I encountered, so here I am, hat in hand.
I'm an extremely uneducated user of 1P so when something goes wrong, I don't have the faintest idea of how to address it.
Initially, I was going to donate to a charity that wanted the transaction to go through PayPal. When I realized PP was in my 1P log/list, I opened 1P (using the Master Password). Sometimes I think 1P is too sophisticated for a novice user as I have only 1 Vault (not really understanding the purpose of vaults). I scrolled down and found PP. When I click on PP; the PP website address appears in the box to the right. When I 'hover' the cursor over the website field, that field is enclosed with a rectangle and an attached field 'Open and fill' appears. I assumed that if I clicked on that field, PP would be initiated and the 1P password would be autofilled into the PSW field. But that didn't happen. What I got was 'https://www.paypal.com/us/home' and an intro screen with an offer to buy into Crypto currency. In the upper right corner, clicking on 'Log In', I expected 1P to fill in the PSW field but nothing happened. I tried it a couple of times - nothing changed.
I went directly to PP, thinking that it may take a different path but it went exactly the same - and that's where it stands. From where I sit, it looks like 1P failed to insert the PSW. Any idea why or what happened. I wouldn't mind some extra education along the way in answering my problem (is there any complete tutorial I could peruse?).
And thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10
Referrer: forum-search:PayPal

Comments

• Hi @SilverCbx, thanks for letting us know about this. I'm sorry to hear about this issue with 1Password and Paypal - let's get this set right for you.

I have replicated the workflow you've described here with a "test" Paypal item I created in 1Password. I found that your description is totally right - when clicking "Open and Fill", you are brought to Paypal's website, rather than to paypal.com/us/signin, which is where one would go to properly log into a Paypal account.

While we do our best to design 1Password so that it intelligently interprets websites and allows you to fill your logins where appropriate, sometimes things like this do come up. Here are two ways you can fix this, and I hope the explanation will illuminate some things about how 1Password works as well.

Approach #1: Copy / Paste

First, when you notice a web sign-in like this isn't working, you can always do this:

1. Locate the sign-in page you need (https://www.paypal.com/us/signin, in this case)
    2. Go to the relevant item in your 1Password for Windows app
    3. Copy / paste that web address you found 👆 into the item's website field and save the item (and let me know if you'd like assistance with that!)

When I did this, 1Password successfully opened the website and filled the login. 👍 It looked like this:

Approach #2: Let the Axe Do the Work

If you don't want to do this kind of copy / pasting in the future, there's a more direct approach you can take too. It works like this:

1. Open your browser and go to the relevant sign-in page
    2. Unlock 1Password for your browser (by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar up top, or by typing ctrl + shift +x)
    3. In the browser, click the sign-in field where you'd normally type in your username
    4. A little prompt will pop up. Choose Save in 1Password.
    5. Verify that the username and password are correct, then choose Save.

When you do it this way, 1Password will automatically save whatever web address the sign-in happened on. That's great, because it means you don't have to figure it out yourself in the future - if the sign-in page was located at example.com/somethingweird/somethingweirder, that's where Open and Fill will take you. 😃

And if you'd like a brief tutorial on how saving passwords in the browser works, be sure to check out the handy guide below:

https://support.1password.com/save-fill-passwords/

Sometimes I think 1P is too sophisticated for a novice user as I have only 1 Vault (not really understanding the purpose of vaults)

I'm really sorry to hear this - we always want to make 1Password as friendly as possible, while recognizing that not everyone will necessarily need every feature. I hope this is a good start towards using 1Password the way you want - that's our ultimate goal. I'll be happy to chat vaults with you anytime! Just wanted to keep this reply to a manageable length.

Thanks - and let me know how it goes!

• SilverCbx
    SilverCbx
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I think I worked it out how to change the target address in the 'website field' - Using 'Edit' to cut out the existing PP site address and copying in the new address (along with www.). At least what I see in your example matches what I see when I click on PP and view the displayed target. But when I 'hover' and get the 'Open and fill' and click on it - I get to the proper PP address ok but the psw field does not get filled in and there is no '1P' icon at the right as your example shows. I'm thinking that I need to recreate the 1P connection to PP (if I can remember how). If I'm right, I think I should 'delete' the PP entry in 1P; go to the proper PP sign-in screen and then create the 1P connection (as I said- if)

• SilverCbx
    SilverCbx
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I even enlarged the screen to be sure I had entered in my PP website what you had entered in your example (I did). I also checked in my FireFox list of psw's and there was a PP psw that looked like something 1P would generate. Then I found the way to reveal the psw in 1P and it was as FF said. By the way, I do NOT have 1P loaded into the FF browser; should I? What benefits?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SilverCbx:

I get to the proper PP address ok but the psw field does not get filled in and there is no '1P' icon at the right as your example shows.

By the way, I do NOT have 1P loaded into the FF browser; should I? What benefits?

Yes, you should install the 1Password browser extension. Without it, you will not be able to fill your credentials automatically like in the video above, which is exactly what I think you are trying to achieve, if I am not mistaken.

You can download the extension from here:

Get 1Password in your browser

This discussion has been closed.