Sharing a single password/item

Options

Hello, regarding this discussion: https://1password.community/discussion/116428/sharing-a-single-password-item

We are confronting with the same discussion. We are merging with another company. They use Dashlane to store passwords, and we use 1Password.

Basically, the hand looked good for 1Password. It is easier to maintain. You can add more properties to items (text fields, number fields, etc.). We partially store FTP access data in the pre-built templates.

All in all, we love 1Password and would like to stick with it. Only problem: The single sharing of passwords with single persons. This is a feature that currently provides a showstopper for us.

Please, can you tell us when you will bring this feature live? Is it currently being worked on? If so, I can use this argument to say: The feature is coming soon!

Short question: Is it possible to store the same password in different safes as a shortcut, so if it is changed in one safe, it is also changed in the other one?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @HenryTheFox,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback, which I've shared internally with the rest of the team. 👋

Please, can you tell us when you will bring this feature live? Is it currently being worked on? If so, I can use this argument to say: The feature is coming soon!

I've just spoken with a member of our Product team, and I'm happy to say they are actively working on new functionality that I believe will address your need for the more effective sharing of single passwords with your team members.

They hope to provide an update to better address single item sharing within the coming weeks. I don't have an exact timetable to share just now, though I can confirm this is a priority. I suggest keeping an eye on the 1Password Blog, as we highlight any upcoming and new features there, and I imagine any news about item sharing will be showcased as well.

Short question: Is it possible to store the same password in different safes as a shortcut, so if it is changed in one safe, it is also changed in the other one?

When you copy an item across vaults in your 1Password account, this creates a brand new item containing a new UUID in the destination vault, and thus any changes made to either item will not automatically be reflected in the other, so this isn't currently possible.

While I'm not a developer, I believe this requested functionality would require a large overhaul of the existing 1Password model. I've gone ahead and updated our internal feature request database issue with your feedback. This will help our development team better track interest and possibly consider improvement in this area.

ref: internal/business-roadmap#4

I hope this is enough to pass on to your colleagues. Let me know I can be of any assistance with any other matters. :+1:

• HenryTheFox
    HenryTheFox
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_max,

Thank you for the quick and detailed feedback.

Yes, that is very helpful for now. Just that the single item sharing is being worked on.

The second question to store the same password in different safes is more about a workaround, if the single item sharing is not yet available.

• Hi @HenryTheFox:

On behalf of @ag_max, you are very welcome. Have a great day! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.